Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Irregular BSoDs after system upgrade

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Refulgence

Refulgence

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:14 AM

I recently upgraded my cpu, mobo and ram and started getting random system shutdowns which at first i had attributed to power loss as windows had not created any crash dumps. After realizing the issue was instead a system failure I fixed the issue causing the lack of crashdumps (due to system drive smaller than memory size) and started diagnosing. I am pretty sure it is not a hardware issue as i ran driver verifier on my current install and a fresh new install. the clean install showed no problems whereas this one bsod on boot. In addition to bsods, the system also now suffers from occasional stuttering. my attempts of using xperf to see what is causing it yielded no obvious results. The system could run months before encountering a BSoD or hours. BlueScreenView claims the issue is being caused by cdrom.sys so i ran sfc which resulted in no errors. 

Can someone help me fix this problem? 

Thanks

Mobo - Asus TUF x299 mark II

CPU - intel core i7 7800x

RAM - 8x16gb corsair  Vengeance DDR4

video - 2x nvidia geforce 670

psu - Corsair HX1050

OS- Windows 7 x64 (installed since system was first build in 2013)

edit: i have uploaded the files externally as i cant seem to attach files. when i try it gives me a "Error No file was selected for upload" message

https://a.safe.moe/pmThu.zip

Edit 2: upon doing more trace analysis hal.dll and ndis.sys seems to be major causes for stutters. During troubleshooting with driver verifies the bsod received upon startup also indicated ndis.sys as the cause (tho i do not have dump for this as this was prior to fixing the dump issue). After updating my network drivers, the issues still persist 

Edited by Refulgence, 02 December 2017 - 12:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Refulgence

Refulgence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:00 PM

Just had another BSoD but the collection app didnt work as it was stuck on gathering network statistics for over 15 minutes

Attached Files

#3 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:36 PM

Hi,

Please upload the Sysnative File Collection App directly here. I will not download files from suspicious websites — only OneDrive, Google Drive, DropBox, and SendThisFile are acceptable. You should have no problem uploading it here since you managed to upload an individual dump file.

Edited by bwv848, 02 December 2017 - 05:36 PM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#4 Refulgence

Refulgence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:25 PM

sorry about that, not sure what caused the issue earlier. 

edit: after 2 bsods in a short period of time I decided to rerun hardware diagnostic tools and while running memtest86 I have received errors on test 4,5,7,9,10 and 13 with the 5th bit being flipped every time (it is still running and I will do more tests on different ram configs)

The first pass of memtest resulted with 3279 errors but all the other passes finished with no errors. 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgS59fpptJK9crwZBS1zY0u_gmg

Attached Files

Edited by Refulgence, 03 December 2017 - 07:58 PM.

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 08:02 PM

Hi,

The first pass of memtest resulted with 3279 errors but the 2nd and 3rd pass came through with no errors. currently on 4th pass

If you're still running the test, go ahead and stop it now... obviously, there's something wrong with the RAM. Please reseat the RAM sticks and clean out the slots with compressed air to remove any foreign particles. Then run MemTest86 again for eight passes. If you still get errors (and stop the test if you do get just ONE error to save time), remove all the other seven RAM sticks and test them individually, then all at once.

BTW — just because MemTest86 is returning with errors, it doesn't necessarily follow that your RAM is physically faulty... it could be a problem with the motherboard... or even a compatibility issue!

Edited by bwv848, 03 December 2017 - 08:03 PM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users