Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having two antivirus solutions in an enteprise

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 armin961

armin961

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:02 AM

Hello,

Is there any benefit in having two antivirus solutions in a company. please don't get me wrong here. I don't mean having two antivirus installed on a client at the same time. What I'm trying to say is imagine we have 500 clients in a company. Then we decide to have antivirus software installed on them. Using two solutions, Let's say we install Kaspersky on 300 clients and Bitdefender on the other 200. apart from the disadvantages which are clearly visible( as we have to manage and configure two set of different products,...) , Is there any benefits to the enterprise which uses more than one antivirus solution in this way? Is there going to be any additional security?

I would really appreciate if someone could help me with logical explanations and reasons in both ways. I also need official or at least valid technical documents( hyperlinks)  which describe why using more than two antivirus software in a company is or is not a good idea?

Thanks in advance

Edited by armin961, 02 December 2017 - 01:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:02 PM

Hello,

Let's say we install Kaspersky on 300 clients and Bitdefender on the other 200. apart from the disadvantages which are clearly visible( as we have to manage and configure two set of different products,...) , Is there any benefits to the enterprise which uses more than one antivirus solution in this way? Is there going to be any additional security?

There shouldn't be any issues,(it is like having 2 alarm systems in your house) the only cons is that you need to watch 2 control consoles.

the way i would set it up, is to put what you believe is the strongest AV on the most vulnerable workstations (those connected to internet), and the "less" good one on the others.

Emsisoft Community Manager

#3 Unworn_Kilt

Unworn_Kilt

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:12 AM

G'day Guys,

Please excuse me for sticking my nose in here.

There's a question that jumps immediately to mind.

Why would an Enterprise want to increase its workload by applying such a policy?

The only case where I would consider such an undertaking is if there is no centralization. Surely it is in the best interests of the Enterprise as a whole to leverage purchasing and to maximize time management?

I apologize for not supplying any links for evidence, but, honestly I see it as illogical. It runs against economies of scale and rules of efficiency.

Perhaps if you could be a little more specific as to the reasoning it may make sense somehow?

My choice would absolutely be run with one without further information.

Kilt.

35 years in I.T. and business.

PLEASE NOTE

I am only a Standard Member,  NOT a Trained Malware Removal Expert. If you have ANY concerns regarding any advice I may give, please contact a Member of Staff before making changes.

Thanks!

** Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick **

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users