Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I need to match the quantity of usb slots on the motherboard and case?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TheNoodleWarrior

TheNoodleWarrior

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:46 PM

Hello! I was wondering if I have 4 X 2.0 USB slots and 2 X 3.0 slots in a case if I need to have those exact number of slots on the mother board. I thought that I heard that 1 USB slot on a motherboard equals 2 USB slots for a case. I have no idea, any input would be great. If you need any clearer of a description just let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:47 AM

Hi. No, I think you have the wrong end of the stick.  The number of ports on the motherboard doesn't matter as far as the case is concerned.

Typically a motherboard has both USB ports, and USB headers.  The ports will be rear facing when installed.  Here is a picture of a random motherboards selection of rear ports, with the clip in I/O shield (supplied with all motherboards) underneath.  The ATX standard defines both the position of the ports on the motherboard, and a cutout size for the I/O shield of 6.25" x 1.75"

9h4iwpY.jpg

An ATX compliant case will have a 6.25" x 1.75" cutout for the I/O shield to clip into, and when the motherboard is correctly installed, the ports will line up with the holes on the shield.

The other category, USB headers, are bare pins on the motherboard.  USB 2.0 (9 pin) and USB 3 (19 pin) headers respectively shown below:

512px-Header_USB2_USB3_onboard_IMGP6408_
Header USB2 USB3 onboard IMGP6408 wp [FAL or GFDL 1.2 (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/fdl-1.2.html)], by smial (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons

Most cases come with front USB ports which wire to these headers.  One header will connect to two USB ports.  Most of the  time, there are more headers on the motherboard than you'll need to wire up the case.  You don't need to use them all.  In fact the headers can be used for other purposes such as for connecting memory card readers, or even lighting control modules..

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 TheNoodleWarrior

TheNoodleWarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:20 PM

Thank you very much jonuk76. You explained this very well. You were quick and to the point and also provided VERY helpful pictures to help me fully understand what you are trying to tell me. This has to be the best reply I have gotten from someone on any computer related forum site, Thank you so much! :D

Edited by hamluis, 02 December 2017 - 02:58 PM.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:16 PM

You're welcome, glad it was useful :)

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users