Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

just got win10, should i install eset and malwarebytes?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cpunoob

cpunoob

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:24 PM

the free versions for scanning

is windows defender any good?

im going to run "classic shell" to make it more like winxp 8)

bleep is this new win system  :smash:

should i run "decrapifier"

Edited by hamluis, 03 December 2017 - 09:31 AM.
Moved from W10 Spt to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AnythingButMalware

AnythingButMalware

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:19 AM

Sophos Home, Bitdefender Free, and Kaspersky Free Antivirus are all nice security solutions to check out if you don't want to use Windows Defender, although I do suggest giving it a go first before using a 3rd party AV. It has a plethora of features for Windows 10, including exploit and ransomware protection of which you're likely not to get with 3rd party AV's.

As for running Decrapifier, if you purchased your computer from a store it likely had a few bundled packages of software so running this tool would help free up some space from that.

Edited by JustAnotherNode, 02 December 2017 - 12:20 AM.

Have you tried turning it off and back on? :P

#3 isaccasi

isaccasi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:33 AM

Hello,I would not trust Windows Defender(I have Bitdefender Total Security as AV)It depends if you are going to use high-risk sites, I would never trust a free security solution,I believe when it comes to Windows security it is worth to spend some money, my total security solution: Bitdefender+Zemana Anti Malware+Voodoo-Shield+HitmanPro+HitmanPro Alert & occasionally Adware Cleaner, witch is the only free security product I trust, Malwarebytes is also a rock-solid program, and in the end it all comes down to what are YOU comfortable with. :notme:

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,102 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:13 AM

Windows Defender is evolving into a top-notch product that is routinely landing in the top 10 of the third-party antivirus testing outfits these days.  The upgrades it received as part of release 1709 are very significant.   I now strongly favor it over third-party free (and, in fact, paid) antivirus solutions because it very simply works and is integrated right into Windows.  It isn't even "set it and forget it" it's already set and takes very good care of itself.

I have said, again and again and again, the most accurate predictor of your likelihood of getting any sort of infection is your history of getting infections.   Most do not sneak in stealthily, but are directly invited in by user action.   If you are repeatedly getting infections, or even just repeatedly having your antivirus/security software quarantine things on a routine basis, you need to look first at your own habits of interacting with cyberspace.  The best defense against infections is to read and understand the following posts here on BC:

Quietman7's Best Practices for Safe Computing  

People are under the mistaken impression that antivirus and security suite software is and should be their primary line of defense.  They are always secondary.  The user's own actions and care in what they're doing are always the primary line of defense.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 Willabong

Willabong

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:12 AM

Absolutely correct!  And I agree that Windows Defender has most definitely come of age, and is as good as any other free or paid for system and better than most!

Having said that, I use Malwarebytes and Superantispyware as extra backup security! 

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,467 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:04 AM

is windows defender any good?

Windows 10 Defender is just as good as any other free antivirus solution (and probably easier to use for the novice) without bundled toolbars or nagging popups. The key word being "free". Windows 10 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) provides on older operation systems plus enhanced protection against rootkits and bootkits.

If you have Windows 10 Anniversary update, it includes Limited Periodic Scanning and allows you to also use a third party anti-virus program as your primary protection. Starting with Windows 10 Creators Update, Windows Defender is called Windows Defender Antivirus...it includes always-on protection which consists of real-time protection, behavior monitoring and heuristics to identify and block malware based on known suspicious and malicious activity. Windows Defender Antivirus Creators Update is also compatible with any third-party anti-virus. Starting with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, Windows Defender Antivirus includes Exploit Guard with four components of new intrusion prevention capabilities designed to lock down a system against various attack vectors and block behaviors commonly used in malware attacks before any damage can be done.

However, although Windows Defender provides some anti-malware protection...it is weak, meaning it does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. This is true for most anti-virus solutions. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs use massive databases with different scanning engines and detection methods to scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.
Anti-malware programs use smaller databases and generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.
Anti-virus and Anti-malware solutions with anti-exploitation features protect against zero-day malware, drive-by downloads, exploits, exploit kits and ransomware.

Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an effective anti-malware solution for maximum protection.

If you choose to use Windows Defender (or any other anti-virus), then I recommend adding an additional anti-malware solution. Please read Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools for information about trustworthy and effective anti-malware programs which can find and remove adware, spyware, browser hijackers and potentially unwanted programs.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,102 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:05 AM

As a side note, and mentioned here on BC yesterday, the developer of Classic Shell has ceased development and has put the source code back to open source.

See:  http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8147

I actively discourage people from using this sort of software not because it's bad in and of itself, but it effectively cripples you when you find yourself in other Windows computing environments where the native interface is the only thing you can use.  The pain of the learning curve for any new OS interface is well worth undergoing in the long run because you will almost certainly face having to use (or, if you're even slightly "geeky," help someone with) another Windows computer that runs the native Windows interface for whichever version is on it.  Not knowing how to do that is incredibly frustrating when the occasion arises.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 MalwareDefense

MalwareDefense

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 19 December 2017 - 05:49 PM

You should try and get Comodo Internet Security, you can configure it to ask you anytime a 3rd-party program is performing any action on your system and block it if you don't know what it is. It does this by hooking system calls from its ring-0 driver, so you can basically prevent any ring-3 modification of your OS. 

#9 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 677 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:54 AM

Hi, cpunoob!

If you download Comodo Internet Security, you should be careful while installing it, as the software bundles the Yahoo Toolbar, which is a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP), however, you can easily avoid it by selecting Custom Install instead of Recommended and manually declining it, or alternatively use the free software Unchecky, which automatically attempts to deselect third-party software offers during free software installation.

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 20 December 2017 - 08:41 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#10 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:46 PM

I won't recommend Comodo to any users without a good  understanding of Windows processes.

Edited by Umbra, 20 December 2017 - 08:46 PM.

Emsisoft Community Manager

#11 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:16 PM

Ok, don't post much, but WD has worked for me.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#12 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 677 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:07 AM

Hi, Umbra!

I won't recommend Comodo to any users without a good understanding of Windows processes.

I guess you are referring to the Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS), which Comodo features.

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#13 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:25 PM

Hi, Umbra!

I won't recommend Comodo to any users without a good understanding of Windows processes.

I guess you are referring to the Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS), which Comodo features.

Regards,

midimusicman79

Exactly. and even if you select the "disable" option in the setting, it is just in "sleep mode" until other module can't react/ignore on a threat. 

Emsisoft Community Manager

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users