Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Nvidea graphics card should i buy ?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Imacelebrity

Imacelebrity

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:24 PM

hi all, my 5.5year old Nvidea GTX 560 failed recently causing bluescreen errors etc, ive removed it from cyberpower pc
that has an ASUS P8Z68-V LX motherboard from belarc advisor tool it says its an Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8Z68-V LX Rev X.0x , Bus Clock: 100 megahertz, heres link to info on it asus dot com /Motherboards/P8Z68V_LX/[/url] in specs here 
asus dot com /Motherboards/P8Z68V_LX/specifications/[/url] it shows it has 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (blue) *1
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black) *1
2 x PCIe 2.0 x1 
3 x PCI 

now ive bought a 4k panasonic camcorder that recommends at least 8gb memory so i used crucial.com to find more ddr3 memory for my pc ( ive bought 8gb on 1 stick so ill have 12gb total, im told some of the editing of videos is done on a graphics card so what graphics card can my pc take ? 
can any graphics card go in a PCIe slot ?? 

im looking at Nvidea here geforce dot com /hardware[/url] but i dont know what i need..1050/1060/1070/1080ti ?????? prices seem to be between £150 - £700

any help appreciated thanks ( remember i have 12gb ram fitted  so how powerful a graphics card will i need to edit 4k videos ??

i need graphics card to play 4k videos, play 3d videos, edit 4k video, tiny chance i might mine cryptocurrency but thats unlikely. also gaming isnt my thing but i just might rarely try something, belarc advisor says i have 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2600K i may overclock it soon as it used to be overclocked to 4.5gig . 

ok i just read a review of a 1070ti here arstechnica dot co dot uk /gadgets/2017/11/nvidia-gtx-1070-ti-review/ i still need reply from any1 can i put any graphics card into my PCIe slot on my motherboard mentioned above in this thread ? i still need help choosing between 1050, 1060, 1070 and 1080 card, prices vary a lot id rather not spend £700 but will if i have to

the Panasonic Camcorder i own is this model here amazon dot co dot uk /Panasonic-HC-VXF990EBK-Camcorder-Wireless-Function/dp/B01AAGIKAK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510269168&sr=8-1&keywords=panasonic+4k+camcorder

in the box they tell us we can download their own software from here av.jpn.support.panasonic dot com /support/global/cs/soft/download/f_ae54.html software is called HD Writer, ive no idea if it uses a graphics card to help !
but ive not downloaded/used it yet ive only had camcorder a few weeks, i am open to buying any software any1 can show me is the best to get as i must learn to edit 4k footage as file sizes are massive so i must be able to upload/send clips to people that arnt crazy huge as sometimes at airshows etc i film for 25minutes in 1 take !!! in 4k that may end up as about a 12gb file !!

im also thinking to buy a program eg sony vegas pro that someone mentioned to me , ive never used it so know nothing about it, i tried playing a 4k movie today it worked for about 20mins then my pc froze and i had to crash it ! 

currently with my 1080p camcorder i used panasonic hd writer a tiny bit but 99% of my videos go on youtube unedited

i see November issue of CPU mag has a graphics card comparison but its way over my head, if any1 can make sense of all that technical detail please advide me what to buy

thanks for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:50 AM

I don't know anything about graphics cards...but I am wondering why you only inquire about nVidea cards, when it seems to me that consensus opinion may be that AMD cards are better in certain cases?

Worth A Read, IMO.

PC Mag Opines

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 December 2017 - 07:53 AM.

#3 Imacelebrity

Imacelebrity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 08:02 AM

hi hamlious, i have an asus vg278h lcd monitor thats a 3d monitor,( required 3d glasses)  it requires an nvidea graphics card and driver and wont work with AMD graphics cards ( i had to send back a monitor that needed amd) thats why im only asking about what nvidea graphics card i should buy, 
there arnt many good 3d movies so i only play a 3d film every month or 2, mostly as ive stated due to the 4k camcorder i now own if some editing is done on a graphics card id like to buy something thatll help, also i hope to play some 4k movies etc 

thanks

Edited by Al1000, 02 December 2017 - 10:26 AM.
fix tags

#4 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 08:56 AM

Hello Imacelebrity,

Best bang for your buck (£ in this instance) and not paying more for a card that you neither need or that your other hardware cannot fully utilise.

The most expensive cards just happen to be Nvidea based chipsets (this includes Quadro) but AMD do also make some good high end GPUs the Vega range among them, all way over the top for what you need both spec and cost wise, see example cards at the link here also worth looking at is the EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC Gaming 3GB 

Couple of points to mention, to take advantage of 4K technology you must also have a 4K capable screen.

System builders like CyberPower will often use cheap generic power supplies, regardless of what the spec is if the original PSU that shipped with the computer 5.5 years ago should be swapped out for a minimum of a bronze efficiency rated PSU of adequate power output and amps on the +12V rail, we can help you with this.

Your case, some of the newer add on video cards can be quite long and most if not all high quality cards take up two slots on the MB and at the back of the case, this needs to be checked and again we can help you with this should you require it.

Depending on what card you settle on you are looking at under £300 minimum, up to £800 maximum with £600+ being somewhere in between  :wink:

#5 Imacelebrity

Imacelebrity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:22 PM

hi phillpower2 thanks for your help : )   , i looked up the card that failed i had a palit gtx 560 

i have a cyberpower 950w high performance gaming power supply , model no PSAZ-CP950     thats now 5.5yrs old and still working ( id rather wait till it fails than spend money replacing unless you can explain why it needs replacing now thanks) 

thanks again for the advice..keep advising me i need it !

Hello Imacelebrity,

Best bang for your buck (£ in this instance) and not paying more for a card that you neither need or that your other hardware cannot fully utilise.

The most expensive cards just happen to be Nvidea based chipsets (this includes Quadro) but AMD do also make some good high end GPUs the Vega range among them, all way over the top for what you need both spec and cost wise, see example cards at the link here also worth looking at is the EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC Gaming 3GB 

Couple of points to mention, to take advantage of 4K technology you must also have a 4K capable screen.

System builders like CyberPower will often use cheap generic power supplies, regardless of what the spec is if the original PSU that shipped with the computer 5.5 years ago should be swapped out for a minimum of a bronze efficiency rated PSU of adequate power output and amps on the +12V rail, we can help you with this.

Your case, some of the newer add on video cards can be quite long and most if not all high quality cards take up two slots on the MB and at the back of the case, this needs to be checked and again we can help you with this should you require it.

Depending on what card you settle on you are looking at under £300 minimum, up to £800 maximum with £600+ being somewhere in between  :wink:

#6 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:06 PM

i have a cyberpower 950w high performance gaming power supply , model no PSAZ-CP950     thats now 5.5yrs old and still working ( id rather wait till it fails than spend money replacing unless you can explain why it needs replacing now thanks) 

Be glad to explain, in fact I have some canned info that use specifically for junk PSUs;

Please note that there is one thing that is possibly worse than using a known poor quality brand of PSU and that is using one that is unheard of, for brands of PSU to trust and brands to avoid please refer to the two attached links here and here

PSU database here

If you want to see an old cheap and nasty PSU fail watch the video/s here while watching ask yourself if you want to risk spending a fortune on a new GPU only t have it (alongside your other hardware) hosed by a cheap PSU, it could be what killed your GTX 560.

Btw, I Googled PSAZ-CP950 and found an out of the box new one that sold for £19 back in 2015 (the P&P was £12  :scratchhead: )

#7 Imacelebrity

Imacelebrity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:36 PM

thx afain Phillpower2, the cyberpower pc i bought in march 2012 is an apollo GT worth around £1600 new at the time as it differed slightly to the model shown on their website when i looked it up as you can custom build cyberpower pcs

( some1 local to me won it in a computer magazine competition and sold it to me for half that ! so ive had my moneys worth ) 

no idea what the power supply cost seperatly at the time,  im not sure what killed the gtx 560 but pc had been running hot for some time, when it failed i had to use 3 cans of compressed air to clean out all the dust..it was filthy inside,the radiator for the water cooling was stuffed full of grey dust !! and hadnt been cleaned in 5 years !   was likely a year or more since i last cleaned out the inside of the case with compressed air/little paint brushes on the fan blades etc from now on ill clean inside every 6months or so. 

if a psu fails are you saying itll damage a new graphics card ??  what damage would it do ?  i dont want to spend money unless i really need to as ive got enough bills at the mo like most folk. 

many thanks for the help  :clapping:     ps i just got malwarebytes premium which is great as i dont trust windows10 built in antivirus to be the best antivirus out there, if u dont use it already i recommend you get it

cheers 

Be glad to explain, in fact I have some canned info that use specifically for junk PSUs;

Please note that there is one thing that is possibly worse than using a known poor quality brand of PSU and that is using one that is unheard of, for brands of PSU to trust and brands to avoid please refer to the two attached links here and here

PSU database here

If you want to see an old cheap and nasty PSU fail watch the video/s here while watching ask yourself if you want to risk spending a fortune on a new GPU only t have it (alongside your other hardware) hosed by a cheap PSU, it could be what killed your GTX 560.

Btw, I Googled PSAZ-CP950 and found an out of the box new one that sold for £19 back in 2015 (the P&P was £12  :scratchhead: )

#8 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:05 PM

the cyberpower pc i bought in march 2012 is an apollo GT worth around £1600 new 

And yet they still put a junk PSU in it, the mind boggles  :scratchhead:

Dust not only creates heat and prevents the system from cooling down properly it also causes static electricity, one of these on its own will kill your hardware but put the two together your not only risk your hardware overheating but fire a s well.

if a psu fails are you saying itll damage a new graphics card ??  what damage would it do ?  i dont want to spend money unless i really need to as ive got enough bills at the mo like most folk. 

Not being dramatic, you've seen the videos, a PSU going pop can not only kill all of your hardware but start a fire as well.

Bottom line, if you do not have and do not plan on getting a 4K spec screen you can get a new video card and a PSU for under £300.

Edit to add: A 6GB video card and a 550W Gold efficiency rated PSU with a seven year warranty will cost circa £307;

EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan), 6GB 

Corsair TX550M 550W Modular 80+ Gold PSU

Edited by PhillPower2, 02 December 2017 - 03:24 PM.

#9 Imacelebrity

Imacelebrity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:00 PM

hi again, i saw the 3second long video of a psu blowing up, i couldnt see a make/model so although i know psu's can fail the fact mines lasted 5.5yrs so far shows its not junk as you call it, if it was junk it would have failed within 2 years like dell components tend to do ! ( yeah ill never buy dell computers again ! ) 

please explain why you think a cyberpower psu is junk ? if you can back up that claim with real facts id be happy to study them. eg a table showing known failure rates just like they do for cars that show japanese cars are the most reliable. you sound like you know what your talking about..do you work in IT ? whats your experience ? 

what psu model do you recommend..im in th UK so it needs to be something i can buy in the UK many thanks for the help/advice : ) 

the cyberpower pc i bought in march 2012 is an apollo GT worth around £1600 new 

And yet they still put a junk PSU in it, the mind boggles  :scratchhead:

Dust not only creates heat and prevents the system from cooling down properly it also causes static electricity, one of these on its own will kill your hardware but put the two together your not only risk your hardware overheating but fire a s well.

Not being dramatic, you've seen the videos, a PSU going pop can not only kill all of your hardware but start a fire as well.

Bottom line, if you do not have and do not plan on getting a 4K spec screen you can get a new video card and a PSU for under £300.

Edit to add: A 6GB video card and a 550W Gold efficiency rated PSU with a seven year warranty will cost circa £307;

EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan), 6GB 

Corsair TX550M 550W Modular 80+ Gold PSU

#10 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:21 PM

I am in the UK and have been building and repairing computers for as long as I can remember and the same with helping out on forums.

Highest failure rates are PSU, GPU, RAM, MB and then CPU, this in general and any component can fail at any time if not looked after or has a manufacturing fault etc.

please explain why you think a cyberpower psu is junk ?

Already done in my reply #6, below are links from my signature on other forums, PSUs are something that I am most familiar with, no one can make you swap out the PSU and there is no amount of information that we can post to make you change your mind, final call is yours.

PSU guidance - 10 stripe - Johnny Lucky - PC Mech - PSU Review Database Toms PSU tier list 2.0 PSU Lemon List

#11 Imacelebrity

Imacelebrity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:34 PM

many thanks again sorry id missed the clickable link in post 6, ok so cyberpower isnt in that long list of psu manufacturers, seeing as mine is 5.5yrs old it may well be wise to replace it !  i just thought mine is 950w the one you said i could buy is 550w, would cyberpower have put that 950w in specifically as my pc needs that amount of power ??? i genuinly dont know , its an i7 pc watercooled, ssd now fitted 12gb ram, ive no idea how much power each component uses or how much in total my pc uses..is their any software that i could install to work this out ??  i found dell motherboards fail every 18months (foxconn) hitachi sata hard drives get errors after 2 yrs so i replace them  etc i agree parts do fail and windows throwing up blue screens with codes no one can work out doesnt help ! 

thanks again for your help

I am in the UK and have been building and repairing computers for as long as I can remember and the same with helping out on forums.

Highest failure rates are PSU, GPU, RAM, MB and then CPU, this in general and any component can fail at any time if not looked after or has a manufacturing fault etc.

please explain why you think a cyberpower psu is junk ?

Already done in my reply #6, below are links from my signature on other forums, PSUs are something that I am most familiar with, no one can make you swap out the PSU and there is no amount of information that we can post to make you change your mind, final call is yours.

PSU guidance - 10 stripe - Johnny Lucky - PC Mech - PSU Review Database Toms PSU tier list 2.0 PSU Lemon

#12 Imacelebrity

Imacelebrity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:57 PM

thats got me thinking i should try find out how much electricity my pc uses before i can pick a new PSU to replace the 950w Cyberpower one i have thats 55 years old now , i found this info 

the usa one mentioned in that link called a " KILL A WATT" is accurate to within .2%     so id like something that accurate for uk plugs if possible

thanks 

#13 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:04 PM

There are a variety of power wattage calculators that you can use on line to see where you need to be for the proper size power supply.

Read This and see if you get anything from it

https://www.lifewire.com/computer-power-supply-wattage-832368

#14 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 08:50 AM

From my reply #7;

Please note that there is one thing that is possibly worse than using a known poor quality brand of PSU and that is using one that is unheard of

The main reason for this is because you cannot do any research on the particular PSU concerned, what is claimed on the packaging of cheap imported PSUs is often way of the mark of what they can actually produce, efficiency rating is another important thing that you need to be sure of, no point in having a 500W PSU if it can only produce 300 or so watts 1% of the time that it is in use, check the info at the PSU database link and you will see that there are a lot of PSUs out there that fall way short on the claimed output.

You can guarantee that if the computer had a 950W Antec, Corsair or Seasonic PSU in it CyberPower would have stamped it all over the place.

Got to head out for a couple of hrs so will leave you with this for now, you do not need any software to tell you what PSU you need.

Edit: Back sooner than I thought I would be  :)

Any potential video card will have a minimum PSU requirement stipulated by the manufacturer, these are often over and above what the cards need and the card manufacturers will do it to cover themselves, use the cards power requirement as a guide and allow yourself a bit more for any potential upgrades such as additional HDDs etc and you will be fine, also to keep in mind are the amount of amps on the +12V rail an add on video card requires and the higher the efficiency rating of a PSU the better.

Edited by PhillPower2, 03 December 2017 - 09:55 AM.

#15 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:13 PM

Good advise from PhillPower2, but there is some things you can do to keep within the highest efficiency rating of your new power supply.

Ideally your unit will delivers plenty of power to your components and offers some extra headroom in case you want to attach additional components later. Most power supplies hit their peak efficiency levels with loads in the range of 40 to 80 percent. Building to about 50 to 60 percent of a PSU's capacity is advisable to achieve maximum efficiency and yet leave room for future expansion.

For example, if the maximum power or combined TDP (total design power) of your system’s present components is 300 watts, a 600-watt PSU would be a good fit. In a high-end system loaded with components that may peak collectively at 700 watts, a 1200-watt PSU would work well. You can get by with lower-capacity units if you don’t think you’ll ever need to expand your system, but if you can afford it, choosing a higher-capacity PSU is a better bet.

Outervision and Thermaltake's handy-dandy PSU wattage calculator invites you to input your build components in exacting detail—right down to CPU overclocking voltages and specific water-cooling components—and then spits out a ballpark power-supply wattage for your system.

On the subject of wattage, one common power-supply myth holds that higher-wattage power supplies necessarily consume more power. Untrue. All else being equal, a 500-watt power supply won't consume any less power than a 1000-watt unit. That's because a system's components—not its PSU—dictate its power consumption. If you have 300 watts' worth of components in a system, the system will consume 300 watts under load, regardless of whether the system is outfitted with a 500-watt power supply or a 1000-watt one. Again, a PSU’s wattage rating indicates the maximum amount of power the unit can provide to your system’s components, not how much power it consumes from the outlet.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2025425/how-to-pick-the-best-pc-power-supply.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users