Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[INFO] Lenovo Z570 unable to boot from CD/USB & OS Frozen

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 warebehr

warebehr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:59 PM

Hello guys here at BP,

I came here today because I have been having a heck of a time repairing my boss's Lenovo IdeaPad Z570, and after extensive online research (to no avail) I realized there are a lot of people having issues with this computer similar to mine.

Basically, his computer ran perfectly until he did a forced shut down. Then, it would not boot to Windows 7. My original plan was to create a bootable USB installation disc for WIN7, and reinstill his OS for him. The computer would no boot from USB, and the BIOS did not have any secure boot or UEFI options to try to change, so I thought I was SOL.

I tried using the Lenovo One-Key Recovery option to restore the laptop back to its factory condition. It took 7 hours for this process to complete, and it did finally get us to the windows 7 loading screen, with animation and all. It did not however complete the booting process. It would go to a black screen after this, or the monitor would "go to sleep" and wouldn't come back on - no matter how long we tried leaving it on. 

At this point I really thought the computer had some type of hardware damage.

Today, I was informed that the PC had some excel files on it that were worth mega bucks, and was asked to recover the hard drive or send it off to an expert to have it recovered. So I called around, and got pricing on this. It was ridiculous! I could not find an option under $400 to have our hard drive recovered, and I am the type of person that will try to exhaust all options before proceeding with something like that - especially since the drive has been reformatted twice using the one-key recovery, that would be $400 for a CHANCE at having it recovered.

So I found some blank DvDs, and burned Ultimate Boot CD to one, and attempted to boot this disc. The computer would not boot the disc. I was starting to think there was no way I was going to be able to do any work on this myself, until I finally went back into the BIOS, and found the option that would change my life:

If you are having issues booting from removable media such as USB drives or CD/DVDs, go into BIOS and change your Hard Drive mode from AHCI to IDE.

I have NO clue why this would affect whether or not your computer would boot from removable media, but making this change, allowed me to boot from that disc, as well as my USB stick. Fortunately, I was able to use PhotoRec to recover the lost files my boss wanted, and then I was able to install windows from my USB, and now the computer is booting windows 7 just fine.

If any of you experts know why this made all the difference, please let me know as I am curious! I spent many hours researching these issues and for the life of me cannot figure out why that setting makes any difference.

I hope this helps someone out who is having issues with their Lenovo. 

Good Day!

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 02 December 2017 - 06:56 PM.
Moved from Crashes, BDODs etc. to Internal hardware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users