Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with security software please

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 maxitwist

maxitwist

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:28 AM

Hi, I made this post for two reasons:

1) I have maybe too much security software installed and they may be interfering with each other, so id like help to know which one(s) i should get rid of. (Please and thank you :))
2) My bulguard firewall has popped up twice in the last 3 days saying it has blocked a port scan, in one case coming from my banks address and in another from ebay. Im not sure if thats bad or if its a false flag so would like some opinions..

So without further aideau, the software i have installed is:

Bullgaurd Internet Security
360 Total security free version
Malwarebytes Free version
Clamwin Antivirus free
mcaffee seceurity scan plus (the free thing that comes with other software, does a scan in 2 minutes and tells you you should buy mcaffee stuff)

360 often flags stuff bulllguard is doing as suspicious, so i think i should get rid of it? I Just dont want to lose out on any coverage because i did get a virus before.
Clamwin seems to be the best at detecting malware. Last time i scanned it found 2 trojans in a steam game.
Knowing nothing about malware, that seems odd to me? Was that a trojan or a false flag? How would it get into a steam game??

The aim of all this is just to make my computer run smoother and have adequate protection.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

Edited by hamluis, 01 December 2017 - 01:09 PM.
Moved from AII to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:05 PM

You have way too much security software, its recommended to run only ONE anti-virus only for an optimum configuration. I would uninstall 360, Clamwin and Mcaffee, all you need is Bullguard and MBAM.

EAM, MBAM, Sandboxie

#3 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 01 December 2017 - 08:44 PM

Bullguard Internet Security

360 Total security free version
Malwarebytes Free version - not necessary but is ok to be kept.
Clamwin Antivirus free
mcaffee seceurity scan plus (the free thing that comes with other software, does a scan in 2 minutes and tells you you should buy mcaffee stuff).

Edited by Umbra, 01 December 2017 - 08:45 PM.

Emsisoft Community Manager

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:33 AM

Read the IMPORTANT NOTE about not using more than one anti-virus program in this topic. In addition to potential conflicts, I explain in more detail why most security vendors advise against doing this.

McAfee Security Scan Plus is a free diagnostic tool which allows you to check your anti-virus, firewall protection, and web security status. When a scan is completed, you will be provided with a report indicating the status of your security protection and recommendations for solutions if any problems are detected. McAfee Security Scan is not meant to be a replacement for anti-virus software...it is a compliment to your existing security software. Major software vendors like Adobe, Java and others have been bundling third-party software and utilities like this from McAfee and Norton in their product download packages which allows users to perform a system checkup of their computers.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 maxitwist

maxitwist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 09:29 AM

Do i have to remove the clamwin? As i said it was the only one that found a trojan before (did complete scans with all of them) and its doesnt offer real time protection so is it still a conflict to have this as well as bullguard?

I read the article and the note, thank you. I guess i will remove 360 now since turning off real time protection will still cause conflicts, but its a pity because i like some of its features like the startup cleanup and web protection and those little things.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,358 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 09:11 PM

If you are security minded enough to recognize any issues or conflicts that may arise while using Clamwin, then you probably can get by with keeping it.

However, you can always supplement your anti-virus by performing an Online Virus Scan.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,839 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:43 AM

You also cannot be certain that Clamwin's ID of a trojan was not a false positive.

It is not unusual for one (or more) products not to catch very new threats that others might, but it's extremely unusual for anything that's more than a few hours to a day old to be missed by anyone given the way definition information is created and shared.

By the way, I have nothing against Clamwin and, for those who want to use it, adding Clam Sentinel adds a realtime component, but it is a completely separate program that you have to know about and download.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users