Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 Startup: Cannot find many daily useful things

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 greystoke

greystoke

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:08 AM

Since Win 10 replaced my Win 7 the start up menu has been a source of concern, but recently things of importance are gone.

MY LIST, ALL i CAN REMEMBER BUT THERE IS MORE.

Start Button (in words, not a symbol of some kind)

Search button

Left side of screen there is a long list of strange symbols, no words. What do I with this, it's like learning a foreign language. I'm 80 I don't have time for this.

Control Panel

Maintenance - A list of commonly use maintenance programs

System Restore:  Now missing, but in it's previous appearance a few months ago, it did not work.

Documents and Settings

Picture folders:  I have folders for every month and year from 2002 to 2017 over 50,000 pictures. All gone.  Now pictures are scattered into many areas, but you have to search through the drive.

I tried using a program that allows the use of win 7 classic start, that was better but not a solution.

What is also gone are things like C: drive, and other ways of accessing the PC hard drive.  I would like to go back to being able to tailor my screen/find a document and its full address/fix a simple maintenance problem.  Win 7 made everything simple and it looked right, nothing makes sense with the new system and it changes every few months.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 greystoke

greystoke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:38 AM

MY BAD!  Topic is Start Menu not start up programs.

#3 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:57 AM

Saw your comment that you'd tried some sort of win 7 classic start.  Was it the free program called "Classic Shell"?  If not, you might want to give that a try.

Classic Shell makes your Windows 10 start menu look much more like Windows 7, plus also makes your Windows Explorer act more like it did in Windows 7.

Best wishes.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:01 AM

Saw your comment that you'd tried some sort of win 7 classic start.  Was it the free program called "Classic Shell"?  If not, you might want to give that a try.

Classic Shell makes your Windows 10 start menu look much more like Windows 7, plus also makes your Windows Explorer act more like it did in Windows 7.

Best wishes.

Unfortunately Classic Shell is being discontinued

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/664471/classic-shell-is-being-discontinued/

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:28 AM

Best wishes.

Unfortunately Classic Shell is being discontinued

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/664471/classic-shell-is-being-discontinued/

But it is still available.  Get it while you can.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users