Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to format Mac

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 user122132

user122132

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:36 AM

How to completely format Mac to remove any malware ? Is there any guide somewhere? I am interested in the equivelant of using dban. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 707 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:46 PM

Scroll down to "Decide whether to erase your startup disk" for instructions on how to erase and install OS X.

#3 coolboy4972

coolboy4972

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 03:36 AM

How to completely format Mac to remove any malware ? Is there any guide somewhere? I am interested in the equivelant of using dban. 

Buddyme2's answer should get you there for reformatting via recovery.

My additional tip would be in reference to your request for a Mac dban alternative, for that the 'dd' command is great. I'd suggest looking into it!

Also note that reformatting is good against malware but if you believe your firmware has been compromised a reformat won't do. Luckily the chance of that sort of infection, especially on Mac, is extremely slim.

#4 macuser

macuser

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:10 PM

are you sure you have malware? it's pretty rare on the mac. did you install and run malwarebytes first?

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac-download/

#5 user122132

user122132
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:48 PM

Thank you guys for the replies. Malewarebytes returns that the mac is clean. I think the mac is clean... This can be a bug introduced by some update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users