Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Geforce 5600 Fx With Ecs 661fx-m7 Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lor

Lor

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:48 AM

Hey guys, wonder if you can help me:

I've got a ECS 661FX-M7 motherboard, with 2Gb ram. It has an onboard SiS661FX integrated video card. I have bought an nVidia GeForce 5600 FX, but whenever I put it in the AGP slot and boot up the computer gives a POST error beep. (1 long, 2 short), and doesn't boot any further. The fan on the video card spins when I try and boot, so it has power. The video card works in another computer.

The BIOS that the motherboard came with didn't provide an option to boot up the AGP slot first, so I updated the BIOS with one that did, and still get the same problem whether the computer boots up the AGP or integrated card first.

I have tried:
Reseating the card (20+ times =P)
Updating the BIOS
Dusting the card and the slot

What I will be trying next is taking one of my other video cards and putting it in the AGP slot to see if the slot itself is broken, but does anyone have any inkling of what the problem may be?

Many thanks,
Lawrence.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:25 AM

If the other vid card works on the mobo - the new vid card is probably dead
If the other vid card doesn't work - then the mobo may be dead.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:31 AM

If you have a PCI video card, give that a try before assuming the board or the AGP video and is dead. Slots can (and often do) go up independantly of the motherboard.

Usama, this is what I mean. You and Enthusiast want to tell me about my approaches to computer problems, yet your willing to jump to the conclusion that this mans video card or motherboard could be dead, when in reality neither one may be dead!

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:59 AM

Gary, I'll send you a PM rather than diverting this thread.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 02:25 PM

You guys may just need to start up a chat... however Lor,
the long beep and two short beeps I believe have to do with your video card, since we hear the beeps, the motherboard is not (thankfully) dead. since the video card works on another computer it (thankfully) is not dead, the individual port could be dead (unfortunately)... and I don't think you can switch between pci and agp... Since your computer senses the agp i don't think it's dead, so let's try an approach from a different angle.
What kind of power supply do you have? A video card is a large device and requires a lot more power, and if you don't have a large enough power supply then the computer would try to run all devices at once, but not be able to boot. So, what kind of power supply do you have?

Edited by Gyro, 25 September 2006 - 02:30 PM.

#6 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:05 PM

You guys may just need to start up a chat... however Lor,
the long beep and two short beeps I believe have to do with your video card, since we hear the beeps, the motherboard is not (thankfully) dead. since the video card works on another computer it (thankfully) is not dead, the individual port could be dead (unfortunately)... and I don't think you can switch between pci and agp... Since your computer senses the agp i don't think it's dead, so let's try an approach from a different angle.
What kind of power supply do you have? A video card is a large device and requires a lot more power, and if you don't have a large enough power supply then the computer would try to run all devices at once, but not be able to boot. So, what kind of power supply do you have?

Yes, you can indeed switch between PCI and AGP.

#7 Lor

Lor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 10:34 AM

That's an interesting idea - I'll have to check when I get home. Before I do though - how do I go about finding the power requirements of my video card? I've tried googling for it, several different ways, and come up with nothing. The nVidia site says nothing.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:21 PM

A nice power supply calculator that I just found (from a link at Shell Extension City): http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

Just plugging your video card in shows 65 watts for it (43 for the base system, and 108 for the base system with your vid card).

#9 Lor

Lor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 02:59 AM

A nice power supply calculator that I just found (from a link at Shell Extension City): http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

Just plugging your video card in shows 65 watts for it (43 for the base system, and 108 for the base system with your vid card).

Ah, that's brilliant, thanks!

I bought a (cheapish) 500W PSU yesterday and tried the card with that hooked up - unfortunately I still get the same problem. So (unless the card requires MORE than 500 W) I don't think that's the problem.

Anyone have any other ideas?

PS: I really appreciate all the help guys - thanks! =D

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:37 AM

Did you look up the beep code?
Beep codes:
http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Edited by Enthusiast, 29 September 2006 - 06:38 AM.

#11 Lor

Lor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:28 AM

Did you look up the beep code?
Beep codes:
http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Yep -

"1 long, 2 short - Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information"

I've updated my BIOS, tried a larges power supply, tried the video card in a different computer (worked) - I'm really not sure what else to try.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:57 AM

I can't remember - did you disable the onboard video as soon as you installed the new card? That might cause these errors.

If the card works in another PC - then the problem has to be with the mobo (most likely), CPU, or RAM. Can you RMA the mobo?

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:29 AM

Try removing the mobo (and everything else), laying it on a non-conductive surface and powering the system up.

I have seen things like this resulting from the motherboard contacting the case, etc.

If you don't have a problem with it out of the case it may be that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users