Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

undesirable side-effects of Symlinks

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EddieMonsoon

EddieMonsoon

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:50 PM

When doing a file search or virus scan on my C: drive, is there an ad hoc method for preventing such search or scan from following any symlinks that point to remote drives? 
Come to that, how does one avoid such things as duplicate results or endless loops caused by directories or drives that have aliases?

Edited by hamluis, 01 December 2017 - 07:04 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Gen Chat - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,899 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:02 AM

This is not a Windows 7 issue or situation.  Topic moved to Gen Chat.

Google Results.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 December 2017 - 07:05 AM.

#3 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:02 AM

When doing a file search or virus scan on my C: drive, is there an ad hoc method for preventing such search or scan from following any symlinks that point to remote drives? 
Come to that, how does one avoid such things as duplicate results or endless loops caused by directories or drives that have aliases?

Hi Eddie!

Please let us know what operating system you are using, then your post might get more attention.

If your post pertains to the Wikipedia definition below, there are a few operating systems that support symlinks, they are highlighted in bold. 

Symlinks....from Wikipedia:

<-snip->

In computing, a symbolic link (also symlink or soft link) is the nickname for any file that contains a reference to another file or directory in the form of an absolute or relative path and that affects pathname resolution.[1]

Symbolic links were already present by 1978 in minicomputer operating systems from DEC and Data General's RDOS. Today they are supported by the POSIX operating system standard, most Unix-like operating systems such as FreeBSDLinux, and Mac OS X. Limited support also exists in Windows operating systems such as Windows VistaWindows 7 and to some degree in Windows 2000 and Windows XP in the form of shortcut files.

Thank you!

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:46 PM

Additional information concerning the issue pasted in from a post in a different topic.

Additional to the original question, I might be doing a search using the Command line, (I do a fair bit of ad-hoc file operations this way),or FreeCommander which I think makes use of Windows functionality for its searches (I mainly use vers 2009.02b, as it's the one I'm most familiar with), a Virus scan using Avira, or I might be searching via one of the many other applications depending on what it is I'm doing and what I need to find at the time. For example images, using IrfanView, audio files, using MP3Tag, and so forth.

Hope this fills in some gaps.
Cheers.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:53 PM

Hello Eddie,

It looks like you'll have to adjust settings on the software level to keep them from following or scanning symlinks. For example, from what I've read, Avira has something in its settings to make it not scan symlinks.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 EddieMonsoon

EddieMonsoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:09 AM

Thanks Orange Blossom (BTW, cute avatar!),

I will have a closer look at Avira. 

I was rather hoping there was a more general approach, so as to avoid tweaking settings in each piece of software.  And what does one do if the particular application doesn't have a way of blocking this?

Also, I was kinda thinking maybe windows 7 had some inbuilt protocol for resolving any anomalies that might be caused by having these links scattered around possibly pointing  backwards as well as forwards, causing endless loops, or duplicate references.

Thanks again,

EddieMonsoon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users