Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mac Infection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 user122132

user122132

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:45 PM

I think my Mac is infected with a spyware.

I always turn the bluetooth and wifi off. Today I noticed that the wifi was on (although I didn't turn it on). 

I think this is an attack and the way the spyware is installed is through a buffer overflow in the wifi.

Can someone please help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 user122132

user122132
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:53 PM

I know how the wifi is being turned on... it is getting turned on automatically after a restart if my ethernet is not connected.

This may not be an attack after all... Anyone knows how can I disable this. I want my wifi and bluetooth to be always off.

#3 user122132

user122132
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:55 PM

is there anyway to disable wifi from bios similar to a windows pc ? Thanks.

#4 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:22 PM

I think if you go to the top left of your screen and click on the apple icon, you can get into system preferences and do it from there. 

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#5 user122132

user122132
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:54 PM

I undertand that ... but it turns on by it self once I restart if the ethernet is not plugged. I made the wifi service inactive and it solved the problem for now, however if it was just disabled it still turns on on restart which I find very weird... I didn't have this problem before

#6 Mac_Slide

Mac_Slide

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:57 PM

is there anyway to disable wifi from bios similar to a windows pc ? Thanks.

Male a Location Just for that purpose.

Go to Network in Pref Pane and on left top under location, add one called NO NET or something

In the panel to the left - delete everything - SAVE and done.

NO%20net_zpsyc8rxk1g.png

#7 coolboy4972

coolboy4972

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 03:19 AM

I undertand that ... but it turns on by it self once I restart if the ethernet is not plugged. I made the wifi service inactive and it solved the problem for now, however if it was just disabled it still turns on on restart which I find very weird... I didn't have this problem before

This doesn't guarentee an infection, however it's better safe than sorry.

The first potential workaround I thought of requires you to be the Administrator / know the admin password.

1. Either go to Network under System Preferences or click on the WiFi icon and select 'Open Network Preferences'

2. On the bottom left corner there is a lock, make sure you unlock it if it isn't already. This requires the administrator's password because it's going to allow you to make system changes.

3. After you've made sure the lock is unlocked, click on Advanced.

4. At the bottom of this window should be 3 or 4 checkboxes, check 'Turn Wi-Fi on or off'. This will make the computer require the administrator's password to turn the Wi-Fi on or off. It may be a hassle, but if you are feeling a bit uneasy about this it may give you some peace of mind.

+ If you believe you've been infected I'd recommend installing Malwarebytes antimalware for OS X (https://buy.malwarebytes.com/mac/us/) Don't worry there's a 30 day trial! I personally use ClamXav but Malwarebytes appears to have a more popular and favored reputation in the security industry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users