Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't save edited HTML file in in Doc. folder on C: drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 donny46

donny46

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:16 PM

I looked at some of the other comments on this subject but can't find one that works.

I'm running Windows 10 which is now ver 1709.  When I edit a HTML file in any folder under the Documents folder on the C: drive and ONLY on the C: drive, I get  "Access to (file name) was denied" when using Dreamweaver or I get "An error occurred while attempting to write the file" using Microsoft Expression Web 4..   If I save this file to the Download folder or any other folder it works perfect.  I can then copy or move the file to the Documents folder.  BUT, same thing happens if I try to edit it again.

I had this problem before and it seems the only way I fixed it was to reinstall Windows.  There has to be a better way ??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:24 AM

You will need to launch the program you use to edit HTML file as a administrator.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 donny46

donny46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:42 PM

Nope, that doesn't work, tried it before.  If it was to work, why would I need to do it for files in the documents folder and not other folders?

I just found another problem with editing files in the Documents folder.  I open a  .mp4 file with VLC to convert it to an .mp3 file.  If I tell it to save it to a folder under the Douments folder, it says  "(file name) File not found.  Check the file name and try again".   WHAT, it's a new file with a new name, of course it can't find it.    I have no problem saving it to lets say, the Download folder which is NOT under the Documents folder.

Edited by donny46, 01 December 2017 - 05:49 PM.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:35 AM

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair is a tool designed help fix a large majority of known Windows problems including; registry errors, file permissions, issues with Internet Explorer, Windows Updates, Windows Firewall and more. Download Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool and run the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool from Safe Mode With Networking and  from Repairs tab click Open Repairs button. From opened Repairs window place check mark for  Reset Registry Permissions, Reset Service Permissions, Register System Files, Repair WMI,  Remove Policies Set By Infections,  Repair MSI (Windows Installer), Restore Important Windows Services, Set Windows Services To Default Startup, Repair Windows 8/10 Component Store, Restore Windows 8/10 COM+ Unmarshalers, Restore UAC (User Account Control) Settings, Repair MDAC & MS Jet and Reset File Permissions check boxes and click Start Repair button.

- Dalai Lama

#5 donny46

donny46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:32 PM

thanks for the try but it didn't seem to make any difference that I can see so far, trying both html editor and audio converter.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:33 PM

You can take ownership and grant yourself a full permission to folder where these files stored if that won't work grant yourself a full permission to files.  I have attached a batch script execute the batch script to add take ownership context menu option for folders and files. You will need to press Shift key and right click a folder to get the  take ownership context menu option.  

Attached Files

Edited by FreeBooter, 03 December 2017 - 02:34 PM.

- Dalai Lama

#7 donny46

donny46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:13 PM

That didn't work either, doing either the Documents folder or a specific file.  I know it has to do with permissions, just can't seem to find the correct thing to do.  

----

Okay, I fixed it by doing a restore from a saved restore point about a month ago.   I think what happens is after Windows does an update (I now have 1709) I change some settings and get things screwed up. 

I will have to be careful what settings I change and test each time.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by donny46, 03 December 2017 - 07:26 PM.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:08 AM

You are very welcome!

- Dalai Lama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users