Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus ROG locks up once a day. Found weird fix but scaried.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 yorocco7

yorocco7

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:55 PM

So for months now it seems like every afternoon (mostly) during work my Asus ROG laptop suddenly locks up. The screen & cursor can't move. The red keyboard buttons stay lighted. There is little to no activity on the "processor" indicator light. I have outlook, Fire fox (6-8 tabs), a few folders, avast, thunderbird mail & iHeart radio all on before the crash. That's not much burden for a gaming pc to handle.  I've tried letting it sit there untouched for hours & nothing happens. So far my only option it to hold down the power button til it forcefully shuts down.  This is very annoying & time consuming during the work day.

Well I stumbled onto something very strange the other day. The Asus locked up like it always does but this time I had to take it out of my office. I unplugged all the USB cables & the monitor cable. The laptop screen stayed black meaning the image on the monitor didn't switch back to the laptop screen which I didn't think it would since its totally locked up. As my final step I unplugged the power cable & presto!!! The laptop screen came alive & the whole system was up & running like it never skipped a beat. I have now confirmed this 3 more times, that when the lock up happens I simply unplug the power cable & it unlocks the system. I'm thrilled to have an easy work around for the problem, but I'm concern why that trick works.

-Any idea why there seems to be a connection between the laptop locking/freezing up & the unplugging of the power plug to unlock it?

-Since we are dealing with a power plug in a PC should I be concerned about the long term effects? Could this be a sign of a short circuit or other hardware issue?

Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users