Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC shuts off randomly after BIOS update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 leopol01

leopol01

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:19 PM

Hello , ever since I've updated my motherboard to the latest BIOS version (F6) my computer has been getting these hard random shut downs. It's not happening very often, it happened twice so far. This never happened before prior to updating the Bios. I had version F5 before this happened. My motherboard is the Gigabyte X99-Ultra Gaming :

www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-X99-Ultra-Gaming-rev-10...

Specs: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3000C15Q-16GVR

Intel Core i7-6850K Broadwell-E 6-Core 3.6 GHz LGA 2011-V3 140W BX80671I76850K

EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3, 220-G3-0850-X1, 80+ GOLD

Each time it shuts down, it starts up after a few seconds, then I get the following message like this. I didn't take this picture, so those configuration settings shown are not mine:

Attached File  imgage.jpeg   119.77KB   0 downloads

And then another thing to mention is that I do not overclock , I rather leave the settings on default. The only settings I changed were memory and cpu to use XMP profile, smart fan settings, secure boot, and boot order. Everything else is left alone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:25 PM

looks like maybe it's not the right version of bios for your motherboard.

i would double check model number and board revision number and make sure you flashed the correct bios, if that's not the problem then flash back to a previous version of bios.

#3 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:34 PM

If existing version of bios is working without problems it is usually best to leave it be.

An existing working bios rarely needs to be updated if ever.

Reasons to update bios are for new hardware not supported by existing bios or for security reasons or if you are experiencing motherboard problems known to be caused by a certain bios version.

If none of the above reasons than leave a currently working bios version be.

Check to see if you can revert back to the working bios version you had prior to doing the bios upgrade.

Just some thoughts.

Edited by The-Toolman, 30 November 2017 - 05:43 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,770 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:44 AM

Updates have created more problems than they solve.  Corrupted downloads being the biggest fault.  To get back to the original BIOS version, you just need to reset the BIOS back to factory default.  That will force the BIOS to load from the firmware chip and not the flashed version that was updated.  It might be necessary to remove the CMOS battery or  moving a jumper on the MOBO to achieve.  At this point downloading the previous version would be risking another corruption.

#5 leopol01

leopol01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:54 AM

My suspicion is probably a bug or bad BIOS update.  If it happens again then I might revert it back to the previous version, hopefully that fixes the problem. I also submitted a ticket to Gigabyte, see if they know anything about it , so i'm waiting on their response still. My temps are fine. I ran memtest86, it passed with no errors. And when i view in the event log all it tells me "Windows shut down unexpectedly" without telling me any more details.  Prior to all of this i did not experience any other problems, my system was very stable and did not experience a single random shutdown.

Edited by leopol01, 01 December 2017 - 11:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users