Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB ONLY WORKS IN BIOS

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 computermd

computermd

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:24 AM

Windows 10 usb keyboard and mouse stop working as soon as windows starts loading.  Same results in safe mode.  Cannot use ps2 because no ps2 ports on this system.  Tried a system restore, of course the restore didn't work.  This is an HP desktop system with a AMD chipset.  Any suggestions other than wipe and reload would be most appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:43 AM

Part of the boot process is the P.O.S.T. (Power On Self Test).  During this you cannot use either the keyboard or mouse.  Does the function return when Windows opens?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 computermd

computermd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:49 AM

I can use the keyboard at post - using keyboard to get into bios.  Lights and function goes out as soon as windows begins to load.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:57 AM

Does your computer have USB 3 ports and are the keyboard and mouse connected to them. They are the blue ports. If yes switch to the black USB 2 ports and see if you have a keyboard in Windows. If the mouse and keyboard are on the USB2 ports switch them to the USB3 blue ports. 

#5 computermd

computermd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:03 PM

There are no usb3 ports on this system  (it's older, but not old enough to have ps2 ports)  I had read this was a amd chipset update gone bad... but without a keyboard can't get into the system to try to uninstall or re-install the update.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:47 PM

You could use the Media Creation tool to build a bootable USB flash drive or DVD and then use it to try an Automatic Repair or a System Restore if available or a reset with the option to keep your files but you would need to reinstall all your programs.

https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-computer-in-windows-10.html

#7 computermd

computermd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 09:36 AM

Yeah that was what I was trying to avoid.  

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 09:44 AM

If a System Restore Point is available it would only revert to the date that you select before the problem. All your programs and data would be intact.

#9 computermd

computermd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:05 AM

Would love to know another solution to this issue - have another system that has the same issue - HP amd chipset - but this system has windows 7 installed not 10 - I've had to now wipe and reload both of them, due to a time factor.  Not a fix, but gets the systems back up and running.  I believe it has something to do with the chipset update, but can't confirm because... can't get into windows to be able to uninstall or even look at the installation log.  Anyway, thanks for the responses.  

#10 computermd

computermd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:06 AM

None of the restore points worked... that was my first thought. 

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:08 AM

You could use the Media Creation tool to build a bootable USB flash drive or DVD and then use it to try an Automatic Repair or a System Restore if available or a reset with the option to keep your files but you would need to reinstall all your programs.

https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-computer-in-windows-10.html

Yeah that was what I was trying to avoid.  

This isn't rocket science.  The media creation tool website has complete instructions for creating the installation media.  After the media is created all the OP needs to do is set the boot order in the BIOS so that the first device in the boot order is for the specific type of media, disc or flash drive.  When you start the disc it will go through a number of steps, one of these is to do a Repair.  This accesses the Recovery options, one of these is a Startup Repair.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:12 AM

I would advise you do regular disk image backups to an external hard drive using one of the following programs.

Macrium Reflect Free

Aomei Backupper Standard

Easeus Todo Backup Free

All allow you to create bootable media letting you restore the image from the USB external drive should the computer no longer boot or the drive fails. All allow you to mount the image as a virtual drive which would let you pull any file out of the image. Aomei and Easeus allow you to do file/folder backups with Easeus being the most intuitive. This would let you be back up in minutes vs time spent reloading your programs, drivers, and updates.

#13 computermd

computermd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 04:58 PM

First, I know it's not rocket science, thanks, I do this for a living.  Reloading Windows is a quick way to get things working again.  I was looking for a way to not cause my customer any inconvenience from having to re-install all their programs.  I have the software to re-install, but didn't need it, just used Windows 10 re-install feature.  And yes, backups and virtual drives work well, but this is a everyday users machine, hence the reason they brought it in for repair.  I guess I was hoping for a backdoor through dos to remove the offending update, in any case, thank you'll for all the suggestions.  :) 

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:16 PM

To get a list of updates using command prompt.

To uninstall a particular update:

wusa /uninstall /kb:xxxxxxx /quiet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users