Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Not Restarting 'Naturally'

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Fomji

Fomji

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:05 PM

Hi I have a Toshiba laptop with Windows 10 installed and I've come across an issue with my laptop not restarting naturally.  Meaning, if I click restart from the start menu, it will do everything fine and get to the Toshiba splash screen (Toshiba Leading Innovation) but the dotted circle will never appear, and it will never get to the login screen.

However, if I hold down the power button, and then start it up again, it will go through just fine.

I have tried the following things:

1. Factory resetting/clean installing windows. (I also had to manually restart it when ever it tried to restart on its own)

2. Unplugging all USB devices.

3. Letting it sit (I waited about 20 hours, nothing happened.)

4. Restarting in safe mode. (When I selected restart to actually get to the option to pick safe mode I had the same issue, and I had to press down the power button.)
5. Hard restarting. (Pulling out the battery, holding down the power button for 30 seconds)

6. Resetting BIOs to default settings (I did noticed that it didn't change anything when I did it the first time, but then I tried clicking on each tab and doing it each time idk if that's how you're supposed to do it or not)

7. Disabling secure boot in BIOs.

I noticed I had this problem when there was a power surge in all of my USB ports to the left.  I restarted to see if it would fix it and then I found this out.  Idk if it would be related or not.

Thanks for any help. :')

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AnythingButMalware

AnythingButMalware

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:26 AM

Hi I have a Toshiba laptop with Windows 10 installed and I've come across an issue with my laptop not restarting naturally.  Meaning, if I click restart from the start menu, it will do everything fine and get to the Toshiba splash screen (Toshiba Leading Innovation) but the dotted circle will never appear, and it will never get to the login screen.

However, if I hold down the power button, and then start it up again, it will go through just fine.

I have tried the following things:
1. Factory resetting/clean installing windows. (I also had to manually restart it when ever it tried to restart on its own)
2. Unplugging all USB devices.
3. Letting it sit (I waited about 20 hours, nothing happened.)
4. Restarting in safe mode. (When I selected restart to actually get to the option to pick safe mode I had the same issue, and I had to press down the power button.)
5. Hard restarting. (Pulling out the battery, holding down the power button for 30 seconds)
6. Resetting BIOs to default settings (I did noticed that it didn't change anything when I did it the first time, but then I tried clicking on each tab and doing it each time idk if that's how you're supposed to do it or not)
7. Disabling secure boot in BIOs.

I noticed I had this problem when there was a power surge in all of my USB ports to the left.  I restarted to see if it would fix it and then I found this out.  Idk if it would be related or not.

Thanks for any help. :')

I've researched and narrowed it down to a similar issue that was fixed by uninstalling the Intel Management Engine. Are you able to see if you have that installed? If so, try removing it just to see if that will solve your issue.

Have you tried turning it off and back on? :P

#3 Fomji

Fomji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 09:21 AM

I've researched and narrowed it down to a similar issue that was fixed by uninstalling the Intel Management Engine. Are you able to see if you have that installed? If so, try removing it just to see if that will solve your issue.

Thank you, but sadly it did not fix it. </3

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,671 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 09:33 AM

Sometimes the hibernation file in Windows 10, can cause problems but since you clean installed Windows and the problem was still there it may not help.

Disable Fast Startup  Edit: Added link.

Open a command prompt and type

shutdown /s /f /t 0

Reboot and try a restart

If that does not work does a restart happen normally when doing this command

shutdown /r /f /t 0

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 December 2017 - 09:37 AM.

#5 Fomji

Fomji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:26 PM

Sometimes the hibernation file in Windows 10, can cause problems but since you clean installed Windows and the problem was still there it may not help.

Disable Fast Startup  Edit: Added link.

Open a command prompt and type

shutdown /s /f /t 0

Reboot and try a restart

If that does not work does a restart happen normally when doing this command

shutdown /r /f /t 0

Sadly that didn't work either. :(

How ever I did notice that when I turned the computer back on it took a while to get to the Toshiba screen.  It was a black screen with a white horizontal line in the top left corner for a good minute, then got to the Toshiba screen.  Idk if that would help.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,671 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:45 PM

Download Seatools for Windows and run the short test. If the short test passes then do the long test.

https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-win-master/

If the disk is a WD then use WDs Data Lifeguard software.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3

Seatools can be run an any disk if not WD or Seagate.

#7 Fomji

Fomji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:02 PM

So sorry it took me a long time to notice you responded! I guess I deleted the email.

I ran both the short and long test and both drives passed.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,671 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:21 PM

Will the computer restart normally after doing a clean boot? If yes then there is a startup item or service that is conflicting. You would need to enable a few at a time to determine what causes the startup problem.

If doing a clean boot does not correct the startup problem then I am out of ideas, sorry. 

#9 Fomji

Fomji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 03:16 PM

IT WORKED. Thank you so much!!! I was able to determine that OneDrive was causing the problem, which kinda explains why a system restore wasn't working.  Thanks again!! 

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,671 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 03:29 PM

Your Welcome,

Glad you got it sorted out and thanks for the update.

#11 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:43 PM

Just like to add Toshiba usually installs custom graphics drivers and if you install anything other than the correct driver from manufacturer website similar symptoms may occur.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users