Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot install windows 10

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jason24

jason24

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:46 PM

My windows 7 stopped updating cause after two years it turned out I had a pirated version of windows. I dropped $110 to buy windows 10. When I go thru the installation process I get the prompt "Setup has failed to validate the product key" and installation stops. I have a product key but bu the process never asks for it. How do I go about installing windows 10 now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:24 PM

Seriously, call the number for Microsoft that should have been included on the hang tag for the license key card.

If you're not being given the opportunity to enter the license key before the install is bombing out you're in a catch-22.

How did you create the bootable install media that you're using, and how recently did you create it?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 jason24

jason24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:11 PM

I bought and downloaded it from Amazon just hours ago.  Microsoft support doesn't know how to help. There's no refund for this.   The windows 7 version that I'm being told is pirated came with my lenovo laptop.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,622 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:03 PM

Well, you bought and downloaded *what*?   Amazon and similar only sell Windows 10 license keys, not the install media.

Even if you purchased install media heaven only knows for what version of Windows 10.  I always recommend that anyone who is installing Windows 10, for any reason, always visit the Microsoft Windows 10 Download Page, download the Media Creation Tool, and use it to create a brand spankin' new set of install media for the most recent stable version of Windows 10.

Whether your Windows 7 installation is legit or not should have no impact on being able to do a *clean install* of Windows 10.  Do not attempt to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10, even if that option is offered.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 jason24

jason24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:11 PM

This is what I bought. I tried the Create Windows 10 installation media tool already. I'm beat. 6 hours and no progress. I'll just chalk up to a financial loss. Thanks for trying to help me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01019BM7O/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o00_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,622 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:51 PM

As I expected, the Amazon page is selling the Windows 10 license key, but you still need to download the Windows 10 ISO and create the bootable media to install Windows 10.  Generally the Media Creation Tool is the easiest way to do that.

If you are one of the unfortunate few (and I'm among them at the moment) getting an error code when trying to use the Media Creation Tool then this workaround from member Freebooter does work:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/662886/media-creation-tool-error-code-0x80072f76-0x20017/page-2#entry4390003

If you're on DSL it takes at least several hours to download the Windows 10 ISO.  It's a bit less if you're on a cable modem and even less if you're on fiber optic.

I always suggest that, rather than using the Media Creation Tool's option to create a bootable USB drive, that one choose to download the ISO instead and either burn it to optical disc (if the machine where you need to install has an optical drive) or to use Rufus or similar to create the bootable USB from the ISO.  I've had a failure toward the very end of the process when trying to use the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB and had to start from the very beginning, which is very time consuming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users