Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitors Don't Work

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kalmly

kalmly

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:22 PM

Just purchased this:   1 x Refurbished: HP Grade A Desktop Computer 8200 Intel Core i5 2nd Gen 2400 (3.10 GHz) 8 GB DDR3 320 GB HDD 120 GB SSD NVIDIA NVS 290 Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit.

Once I had everything plugged in, I fired it up and turned on the monitor. The screen says:  No signal. Check plugs. I went through the unplug-plugin again routine. Then I tried another monitor only to get the same message. The usb keyboard is working, ditto the usb mouse.

What can I be doing wrong? I'd so hate to have to send this back. Such a pain.

I'd be grateful for any help you can give.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,450 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:21 PM

My first suspect would be the video card, it is a fairly dated unit, from the CNET specs -

• Vista Capability
    This is a modern video card capable of running all the new features in Windows Vista, including the upcoming DirectX 10.

https://www.cnet.com/products/nvidia-quadro-nvs-290-graphics-card-quadro-nvs-290-256-mb-gn502aa/specs/

Always assuming these are the specs for that card.. In any case if the mobo has integrated graphics then remove the nVidia card and try the on-board connector and see if that works.

If it doesn't, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 29 November 2017 - 07:21 PM.

#3 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:40 PM

Thanks. I doubt the motherboard has integrated graphics. I wouldn't recognize the nVidia card at any rate. Guess I'll try calling Newegg (where I bought it) - as soon as Comcast gets my landline up and running. (My house is full of tech problems this week.)

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,450 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:48 AM

Let us not be too pessimistic !  But if the computer is under warranty then you are better to speak to your supplier

You can tell if your desktop has integrated graphics very easily - take a look at the back panel. You should see the horizontal small panel where your present monitor cable connects and, normally to the left of that, you will see a vertical group of connectors - several USB, Ethernet, audio and hopefully at least one video connector. If there are integrated graphics you will almost certainly have a VGA connector which looks like this -

http://sewelldirect.com/images/connectors/photos/VGA.jpg

and possibly either an HDMI or a DVI connector. If you have a DVI connector then you won't need to source a VGA cable !  If it has integrated graphics, next remove the nVidia card.

While you are looking at the back panel take a look at the vertical edges, you should see two screws on each side. These may be 'thumb' screws or they may be cross-headed. Looking at the back panel, undo the two on the right hand side panel and remove them. The panel will then slide backwards about half an inch and lift off. Then remove the nVidia graphics card. If you look at  the link in my #2 you will see a photo of your card so you will be able to recognise it !  This is held in by one cross-head screw and a clip at the rear of the card. Remove the screw and release the clip by pressing down and away from the card then remove the card by gently waggling it. Disconnect any power cables it may have connected to it. I don't think there are any but check. Next connect the monitor to the on-board graphics, boot the computer and see if there is an image on the screen. There is no need to replace the side panel while you are doing this.

If there is still no image your cable may be faulty - try another.

Chris Cosgrove

PS.  The only effective way to test the video card is to plug it into a computer whose graphics are known to work and see what happens. If it works there the card is good, if it doesn't, it is an ex card, also known as dead.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 30 November 2017 - 10:51 AM.
Add PS

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:26 PM

If this is your computer it does have integrated graphics. I would use the vga port on the back. This could get you to BIOS where you would change your graphics, either integrated or Stand-alone card.

83-286-451-Z05.jpg

#6 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 08:03 AM

Thanks, both of you. I didn't realize I had more answers until just now. I'll do what you suggested and get back as soon as I get home. 

I did use the vga port on the back. There is no other place to plug in.

The pic that JohnC_21 posted does look a lot like my computer. However, I have another plug-in down farther. The computer came with a plug -in that fits there and has a dual thingy - sorry, don't know what they are called - that looks like it should attach to two monitors. As I recall, the online description said it was set up for dual monitors. The cords are short - about 4 inches - but they look like monitor cords.  SO- was I supposed to use that some way?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,274 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 08:13 AM

It would help if you could take a photo of the " dual thingy" attached to the back and post the image. Clicking More Reply Options next to the post button will let you attach an image.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 December 2017 - 08:14 AM.

#8 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:26 PM

Hey thanks so much people. I got it to work!

I love Bleeping Computer. :thumbsup2:

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,274 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:43 PM

Glad you got it sorted. Can you post what you did to solve the problem? Thanks.

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,450 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:43 PM

And for the future and any more topics you might start - or follow, click on the 'Follow' button at the very top right of any topic and add your name to the list.  This way you get an email notification of any replies.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users