Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Allocating free space from D Drive (Disk 0) to C Drive (Disk 1)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rubyvilone

rubyvilone

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:46 PM

Hello,

I have an issue, I want to allocate space from my D Drive (which has 855gb of 'unallocated space'), to my C Drive which can hold only up to 117gb. They are both on two different disks (Disk 0 and Disk 1), so when I try to allocate this space into the other it will not allow it. I have even used a third party software to help. 

I have been online looking for a solution but I cannot seem to find one. Before answering my question, I understand that this process may be difficult but  I am desperate to increase the size of my C Drive, so please give me any solutions you have. 

My computing knowledge is poor so I may not understand certain things. I have used 'Disk Management' to try to 'Resize/Move Partitions' but this is not possible as these two drives are on two different disks. 

I only use my laptop to browse on the internet and to program music using FL Studio 11, so there may be many files I do not need. 

PLEASE get back to me with a solution, I am willing to do anything.

Thank you in advance :)

PS. *Check image for reference*

Attached File  screenshot.jpg   88.24KB   1 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:25 PM

I must admit that I would like to know why you are trying to "increase the size of your C:" when your machine clearly has a huge second drive for data that was probably intended for your user data to reside on.

The only way you can actually treat two physical drives as one logical drive is to use the dynamic disc feature and span the volumes.  This is far more complicated than I can try to outline here and you can find scads of tutorials on how to do this.  Search on "Windows 10 dynamic disc" or "Windows 10 spanned disc".

See https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-one-large-volume-using-multiple-hard-drives-windows-10 for starters.

If your issue is that the C: drive is getting full because your user data files are kept on C: then I'd definitely look into moving it (and making Windows know about that move so it always looks there) to D: for all user data.  See the search results from https://duckduckgo.com/?q=windows+10+change+user+home+directory&t=hf&atb=v91-1&ia=qa for starters.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:47 PM

you can't do it with the drive the contains the windows OS!  you can combine multiple drive as long as windows isn't on them.

#4 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:43 PM

You should be able to expand the space on the D: drive into the 855GB space. I would do this and take Brian's advice and move the downloads and Program files to the new space. If you cannot get disk manager in Windows to do it, try minitool partition wizard:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitool-partition-wizard-free/

this has worked for me where disk manager failed.

7581204627.png

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,008 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:53 PM

The note that mightywiz makes is very important and I'm embarrassed that I hadn't thought to add it.  The Windows installation itself must be on a Basic Disc.

I personally far prefer MiniTool Partition Wizard to Windows own built in disk management utility.  It's a lot more intuitive and it allows you to do all of your changes on "the electronic sketchpad" and they are not actually applied until you apply them.  Seeing how the discs will be laid out before actually committing to it is a big plus as far as I'm concerned.

Back to the original issue, though, 117 GB should be more than enough room for Windows itself and as many installed programs as most of us have provided that user data is not kept on the same drive.  On most machines (that get any real use, anyway for something other than web browsing and e-mailing) user data eats up far more room than the OS itself and all installed programs do.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 rubyvilone

rubyvilone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:57 AM

I must admit that I would like to know why you are trying to "increase the size of your C:" when your machine clearly has a huge second drive for data that was probably intended for your user data to reside on.

The only way you can actually treat two physical drives as one logical drive is to use the dynamic disc feature and span the volumes.  This is far more complicated than I can try to outline here and you can find scads of tutorials on how to do this.  Search on "Windows 10 dynamic disc" or "Windows 10 spanned disc".

See https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-one-large-volume-using-multiple-hard-drives-windows-10 for starters.

If your issue is that the C: drive is getting full because your user data files are kept on C: then I'd definitely look into moving it (and making Windows know about that move so it always looks there) to D: for all user data.  See the search results from https://duckduckgo.com/?q=windows+10+change+user+home+directory&t=hf&atb=v91-1&ia=qa for starters.

Firstly thank you for the insight it is helpful. 

The reason why I I wanted to move the free space to my C drive was because I am going to install a Plugin (Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2), which needs up to 100gb of free space to complete installation part but will I think only take up 60gb of space ONCE it is completely installed. I need the Program Files and Program Data folders because this is where most of the content is going to placed. I want to know, can I move these files I stated above to my D drive (DATA)? If so it will make it a lot easier. I am not very good with computers, so please explain the process

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,008 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:24 AM

I believe you should simply try installing what you're trying to install.

The entire Windows OS doesn't take up as much space (or, perhaps, just a tiny bit more) as you're saying this one item does, which seems to be impossible.  You can generally also choose to install programs in the location of your choice, although the default is generally to the C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) folder.  Just change it during the install process to somewhere else if it doesn't install successfully using the defaults.

If you're talking about the digital audio program Spectrasonics Omnisphere v2.3.1 it doesn't take up nearly the space you think it does.  See the screen shots (around page 33) for Windows installation in https://support.spectrasonics.net/manual/Omnisphere2/pdf/Omnisphere2_Reference_Guide_v231.pdf

Edited by britechguy, 30 November 2017 - 10:40 AM.

#8 rubyvilone

rubyvilone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:44 AM

I believe you should simply try installing what you're trying to install.

The entire Windows OS doesn't take up as much space (or, perhaps, just a tiny bit more) as you're saying this one item does, which seems to be impossible.  You can generally also choose to install programs in the location of your choice, although the default is generally to the C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) folder.  Just change it during the install process to somewhere else if it doesn't install successfully using the defaults.

My windows folder is only 16gb, I have included a screenshot.

If I move the folders Progam files and Program Data to my D Drive (if possible) , will everything run correctly and normally, whilst leaving all folders associated with the OS in the C Drive.

From what we know, what possible solutions do I have? I have to get this completed somehow.

Attached Files

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,008 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:00 AM

You are conflating a whole bunch of information.

What your screen shot shows is that your Windows Folder is taking up approximately 16 GB, not an awful lot of space.  Mine takes up a bit more, 22 GB:

Attached File  Windows_Space_Taken.jpg   45.13KB   0 downloads

That has absolutely nothing to do with the space that may or may not be available on your C:\ drive.  The easiest way to determine this is to go in to File Explorer, select This PC from the navigation tree on the left, and look at what is shown over in the right for your C:\ drive.  The used space is shown by the blue shading (by default, anyway) and the white space is the amount of free space you have left on the drive.  I will be shocked if it isn't an amount significantly more than the 16 GB that Windows takes up unless you have your user data on that drive and have a lot of user data.

Attached File  Space Available.jpg   126.84KB   0 downloads

#10 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:15 PM

myself, I would clone my original drive to a new larger HDD using clonezilla or something simular!  then use the smaller drive as a D drive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users