Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspirion 660 upgraded i5-2500S wont accept ram in 2nd slot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wa2ise

wa2ise

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:48 PM

I upgraded the CPU in my 4 year old PC (Dell Inspirion 660) that had an Intel Pentium Dual-Core SR10H with a quad core i5-2500S. PC works better, though it no longer likes a ram memory card in the second slot (doesn't get past the POST, beeps twice, meaning ram issue)(had a pair of 4GB cards before). The machine is Win 7 64 bit, so the 32 bit limit of 5GB shouldn't be a factor. Can't find any reason for this yet... Tried putting the old CPU back, machine still doesn't like the 2nd memory card (I did try both cards, one at a time in the 1st slot, both work). PC works better with the quad core despite less ram, though I'd like to be able to have the 8GB I used to have.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wa2ise

wa2ise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:35 PM

I replaced the single 4GB with a single 8GB I got from Amazon, it works and now I have 8CB of memory. Which appears to be plenty. I left the 2nd slot empty. 

#3 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 340 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:19 PM

Hello wa2ise,

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for posting back to let us know  :thumbup2:

I replaced the single 4GB with a single 8GB I got from Amazon, it works and now I have 8CB of memory.

Something odd but who cares if your 8GB of RAM is recognised and usable, your computer specs here say the MB will accept a maximum of 8GB of RAM, this when 2 Xs 4GB sticks are inserted in the two slots, the Crucial tool here also shows that 2 Xs 4GB sticks are the max, most odd  :scratchhead:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:44 AM

I don't see any of the usual sources (Dell, Crucial, etc.) suggesting that an 8GB module works for that system...but Take A Look.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 December 2017 - 07:45 AM.

#5 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 340 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:12 AM

Thanks Louis  :thumbup2:

Looks like the additional model details I660-6038BK. make a difference 

#6 wa2ise

wa2ise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 04:51 PM

Just for some grins, I wanted to see if, by chance, my using the 8CB in the 1st slot would somehow allow the use of one of my old 4GB's.  No dice...  Looks like my 2nd slot is dead...  I then stuck a sticker on the 2nd slot to remind me later that it is unusable.

#7 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 340 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for the additional info wa2ise  :thumbup2:

#8 wa2ise

wa2ise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:53 PM

Been about 6 weeks now since I upgraded the CPU, and the computer is still working fine, better than it used to. 

#9 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 340 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:07 PM

Glad to hear it  :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users