Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Most Popular Browser For Vista

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,984 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:32 PM

What is the best Browser to use now for Vista since support is gone for most?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,500 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:16 PM

The only browser that is still supported for Vista is Mozilla Firefox.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 iMacg3

iMacg3

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 865 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:53 PM

Since Firefox is ending support for XP and Vista in June 2018, you may want to consider some alternatives for Firefox, once support ends.

Comodo IceDragon and SeaMonkey are supported on Vista, however SeaMonkey is ending support for Vista after Version 2.49.x.
Regards, iMacg3

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

#4 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:11 PM

The way I understand support, the version of Firefox currently for Windows Vista is v52.something, E.S.R.

As an alternative to that, there is Opera version 36.something.

I am finding Firefox on my Vista machine to be too slow.  Opera works much better.

#5 JodyThornton

JodyThornton

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:18 PM

As of right now, Pale Moon runs in x64

#6 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:10 PM

Firefox ESR 52 is my preference for Vista. If it seems slow, it might be because your clunky antivirus "supports" Firefox but not lesser-known browsers, or maybe you are running Vista on hardware more suitable for XP. Opera 36 is based on outdated Chromium 49, which supported Vista anyway, and it hasn't received a security update in more than a year. The situation is similar with Slimjet 10 (based on Chromium 50). Pale Moon is certainly an alternative to Firefox, especially if you want a 64-bit browser version (not applicable if your Vista is 32 bit like mine). However Pale Moon's developers have a new browser project called Basilisk which does not support Vista or XP, so Pale Moon's days are probably numbered. There's always Internet Explorer 9 (LOL), which can reportedly be patched with Server 2008 updates - as if the lack of monthly patches was its only shortcoming.

#7 JodyThornton

JodyThornton

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:28 PM

Basilisk isn't a Pale Moon replacement.  I'm not really stuck on some of the team, but I will concede that Pale Moon is still a worthwhile contender, and it should be an ongoing project for awhile.  It should hopefully supersede Firefox ESR 52's longevity past June 2018.  In time, Pale Moon may be the select option, for however long it lasts.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,984 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:30 PM

Sounds as bleak as I thought!  Firefox ESR 52 and Opera sound like two good choices for me to try, thanks!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 AnythingButMalware

AnythingButMalware

• Malware Study Hall Sophomore
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:45 PM

Perhaps QupZilla or K-Meleon?

Have you tried turning it off and back on? :P

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,984 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:04 AM

JustAnotherNode, Those look interesting! K-Meleon looks like it is still being developed, can't tell if QupZilla is? some folks don't believe in dating there websites or software?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 iMacg3

iMacg3

• 865 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:14 AM

Both QupZilla and K-meleon are being developed. I cant find the system requirements for QupZilla, however.
Regards, iMacg3

#12 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:44 PM

Sounds as bleak as I thought!  Firefox ESR 52 and Opera sound like two good choices for me to try, thanks!

Hi pcpunk:

I agree with Abzyx's comments in post # 6.  Opera is a Chromium-based browser, and Google discontinued support for Chrome on the Win XP and Vista platforms in April 2016. - see Google's official announcement <here>.   That means that the old Chrome v49 and Opera v36 browsers can be installed on Vista SP2 computers but they haven't received security updates to patch vulnerabilities discovered since early 2016, making these Chromium-based browsers an unsafe choice for these older operating systems. See Martin Brinkmann's February 2016 article Opera 36 will be the last for Windows XP and Vista on ghacks.net for more info.

As others have noted in this thread, the only major browser that is fully supported on Win XP SP3 and Vista SP2 is Mozilla's Firefox ESR (extended support release) and Mozilla announced in the blog entry Update on Firefox support for Windows XP and Vista that Firefox ESR v52.x will be fully supported on these older platforms until June 2018.  Pale Moon is a Mozilla-derived web browser but the developers have stated on their download pages that "Our support for Windows Vista is limited."

If you want to try Firefox ESR and are downloading with your IE9 browser, try https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new.  That web page should automatically detect your Vista OS and offer the correct Firefox ESR v52.5.0 installer (currently Firefox Setup 52.5.0esr.exe).  I've noticed that the auto-detect feature on the official download page for offline Firefox installers (all languages) at https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/ doesn't always work correctly with IE9 and sometimes offers the incorrect installer, although it seemed to be working correctly today when I tested with my IE9 browser.

------------------------------

32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.4.0 * NS Premium v22.11.0.41 * MB Premium v3.2.2

HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Edited by lmacri, 01 December 2017 - 12:52 PM.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,984 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:53 PM

lmacri, Very comprehensive post for me, thank you very much.  I installed the current Chrome on it but there were messages saying it was not supported as you know.

I will use Firefox ESR! as you've directed me too.

Thanks, pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 iMacg3

iMacg3

• 865 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:10 PM

Once support for Firefox ESR on Vista and XP ends, you may want to consider moving to one of the other browsers such as Comodo IceDragon, K-Meleon, or QupZilla. But for now, Firefox ESR will work fine till June 2018.
Regards, iMacg3

#15 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:15 PM

Once support for Firefox ESR on Vista and XP ends, you may want to consider moving to one of the other browsers such as Comodo IceDragon, K-Meleon, or QupZilla. But for now, Firefox ESR will work fine till June 2018.

Thanks for that with the two suggestions of Comodo Ice Dragon and K-Meleon.

My older machine with Windows Vista sp2  IS  32-bit computer.  Also specific to another comment given, protection software on the machine is Norton Security.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users