Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

replace MS Office

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PDN

PDN

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:00 PM

I forgot to copy and paste.

I have MS Office now but only use Word and even that has more than I need. I was thinking of using 'Free Office' or maybe 'Libre Office'. My Office 2010 gets security only till 2020.

How will that affect my many Word documents in the PC, flash drives and the external drives. Will there be an automatic conversion? I read about them but would like another opinion before I switch.

It is a matter of finances as I am retired. If these programs can communicate with others it would be a good thing. I prefer not to use Google.

Edited by hamluis, 29 November 2017 - 03:22 PM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Business Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:16 PM

There may be some conversion problems with Libre Office. I would use that over Open Office. 

Other free or low cost Office Alternatives that have good compatibility

Softmaker Free Office

WPS office.  $80 to remove the ads  Very good compatibility.

Office Online  - Downside is you can only do documents online

Google Docs  -  Downside is you can only do documents online, There are many youtube videos on converting Word Docs to Google Docs.

#3 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:47 PM

Softmaker Free Office read very well.  I did use Google for a while but did not care for it. I'd like documents offline most of the time.

At least there are options.

Thank you for your input.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:02 PM

Your Welcome,

I believe 90% of the people who use Windows Office only use 10% of it's capabilities and can get by very well with an alternative. Personally, I use Libre Office as I don't have any Word Docs or Excel Spreadsheets to worry about.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:34 PM

Like John I use Libre Office although not exclusively. Libre Office works very well with the common MS Office files such as DOC, DOCX, XLS and XLSX. It can read and export files in these formats without problem unless, possibly, if you are running very complex spreadsheets.

The only compatibility problems I have found between the two are with presentations. LO's Impress and MS' Powerpoint do not seem to play well together.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:22 PM

Very comfortable with Softmaker FreeOffice, but just beware - the free version will not let you save as DOCX;  you can read DOCX but not create nor save as DOCX.  Upgrade to the paid version if you like.

WPS Office WILL let you save as DOCX.

If you are interested in another paid product allowing for DOCX file format, there is Corel Office, but support from the company does not seem to be happening.

You might also consider Jarte, for word-processing purposes.

#7 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:06 AM

I am glad you told me about the Docx issue. I think most seem to like Libre Office so I will try it.

Do I install Libre, remove Office, change the default and all word docs are converted.

When I use the flash drives and external drives with Word docs, will they be converted to Libre format automatically?

Edited by PDN, 30 November 2017 - 09:11 AM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:40 AM

You do not have to install Libre Office. You can try the portable version. Double click the exe file and install it to a folder on your desktop. 

https://portableapps.com/apps/office/libreoffice_portable

When I use the flash drives and external drives with Word docs, will they be converted to Libre format automatically?

Libre Office will attempt to open your Office Docs automatically but because of the portable version you would need to select the Word File under the File Menu of Libre Office Writer i.e. File > Open. You would either save it again as doc or docx if you wanted to keep it in the same format or save the file as an odf file which is Libre Office's format. You may lose some formatting so if you do decide to save as odf open it after saving and see how the conversion completed.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 November 2017 - 09:41 AM.

#9 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:14 AM

Very comfortable with Softmaker FreeOffice, but just beware - the free version will not let you save as DOCX;  you can read DOCX but not create nor save as DOCX.  Upgrade to the paid version if you like.

WPS Office WILL let you save as DOCX.

If you are interested in another paid product allowing for DOCX file format, there is Corel Office, but support from the company does not seem to be happening.

You might also consider Jarte, for word-processing purposes.

#10 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:16 AM

There may be some conversion problems with Libre Office. I would use that over Open Office. 

Other free or low cost Office Alternatives that have good compatibility

Softmaker Free Office

WPS office.  $80 to remove the ads  Very good compatibility.

Office Online  - Downside is you can only do documents online

Google Docs  -  Downside is you can only do documents online, There are many youtube videos on converting Word Docs to Google Docs.

Edited by PDN, 30 November 2017 - 10:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users