Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Customize A Folder

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rajkghosh

rajkghosh

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 03:04 AM

hiiii,
i have win 98 pc with pentium 4 machine.
lately i have found that folder options in view menu is not there any more!!
also i cannot customize a folder from view menu.
it gives a error as read only and disabled by system administrator though my comp is not connected to any LAN.
i also have problem starting computer in safe mode. though the screen appers giving the option for safe mode it actually does not start in safe mode and goes in dos mode.
otherwise the comp is running smoothly.

please help me out. i am waiting for ur help guys

Edited by rajkghosh, 25 September 2006 - 03:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 01:32 PM

Do you have anything like spybot search and destroy going? If not you cand find it here http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html this is most likely a viral infection, spybot can usually fix the registry that was changed, however if it can not, I suggest you make a hijack this log http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:35 PM

I assume you have an administrator account?

Run Spybot as Gyro suggested but also go to your control panel, click on files, and see if you can accomplish the customization from there.

#4 rajkghosh

rajkghosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 02:06 AM

hii,
thanks for your help. but it did not solve my problem. i dont know what a administartor accout means?
please help me out.

raj.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:48 AM

There are basically two types of accounts - administrator, who can make system changes, etc, and user, who cannot.

You can find out what kind of account you have by going to the control panel and clicking on "Users or User accounts"

Highlite your account and it will tell you if you are an administrator or not.

Is this computer yours or are you sharing it and did you set it up originally or did your parents or the computer owner if it isn't you set it up?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users