Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Second mobile rack HD doesn't show under "My Computer"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pinegum

pinegum

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 01:01 PM

W7 sp1

I have two mobile racks on my computer. Just got the second one, don't think its formatted. When I go to "My computer" the new/second one doesn't show up. I want to copy the original to the new one but I can't when it doesn't show up. Do new HD have to be formatted before my computer recognizes them?

If so, how can I do it?

Your help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:29 PM

If the drive is clean you will need to partition and format. It can be done in Disk Management but first Initializing the drive and then creating a simple volume. It can also be done with the free Partition Wizard. All steps in Partition Wizard are virtual until the Apply button is clicked. This lets you back out of any mistakes.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitool-partition-wizard-free/

https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/create-partition.html

#3 pinegum

pinegum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:48 PM

The second drive i have it in isn't recognized by my computer,when I boot up, only my primary drive. Don't think I can put it in my primary drive and boot up can I? I've used other used HDDs in the second drive but the "clean" one isn't showing up. I'll use your iinfo when I can get to it. Thanks

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,272 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:17 PM

You will need to partition and format the drive before Windows will detect it.

#5 pinegum

pinegum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:34 PM

How can do that if my computer doesn't recognize the drive? Drive "C" is the primary drive (mobile rack) Drive "D" is the seconary drive   (mobile rack) These have already been setup in my computer, don't know why it at least doesn't recognize the new one in Drive  D

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,272 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:48 PM

You should see a drive listed in Disk Management as not initialized. Partition Wizard will also detect the drive even if clean.

#7 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 704 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:23 PM

How can do that if my computer doesn't recognize the drive? Drive "C" is the primary drive (mobile rack) Drive "D" is the seconary drive   (mobile rack) These have already been setup in my computer, don't know why it at least doesn't recognize the new one in Drive  D

you need to open "computer management" type that into the search bar, then when it opens goto drive management.  there you should be able to see the drive listed and marked as "unallocated space".  right click on the drive and select mark partition as active.   but don't format it there, it will take forever.  close out of the computer management and then do a quick format like normal and you'll be able to use it right away.

#8 pinegum

pinegum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:49 AM

JohnC_21, thanks for the help and education. Everything is fine now!!

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,272 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:52 AM

Your Welcome, glad you got it sorted. Did you use Disk Management or Partition Wizard?

#10 pinegum

pinegum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:59 AM

Disk Management. I walked slowly thru the process and I guess I made the right choices, thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users