Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't hack or bypass Windows 10 password with Hiren's boot CD

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 AppleNewOrleans

AppleNewOrleans

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:48 PM

I have this little Acer R3 and you have to enable legacy drivers to get it to boot to an external DVD drive, which consequently, makes it not see the internal HDD.

So I can boot the CD, but when it comes time to select the partition with Windows, it can't find it. What do I do?

Edited by hamluis, 29 November 2017 - 01:49 PM.
Movedd from All Other Apps to W10 Spt - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:12 PM

What are you trying to do? Pull data from the hard drive or reinstall Windows. Instead of using a external DVD drive you should be able to boot from a USB flash drive.

You can use Lazesoft Windows Password recovery. Download the program and run it on another computer. It will allow you to create a bootable USB flash drive. Lazesoft will only remove or reset the local password, not a Windows Account Password.

On a Acer tapping F12 at boot should give you the boot menu to select the flash drive. If F12 does not work it may need to be enabled in BIOS.

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:51 PM

What are you trying to do? Pull data from the hard drive or reinstall Windows. Instead of using a external DVD drive you should be able to boot from a USB flash drive.

You can use Lazesoft Windows Password recovery. Download the program and run it on another computer. It will allow you to create a bootable USB flash drive. Lazesoft will only remove or reset the local password, not a Windows Account Password.

On a Acer tapping F12 at boot should give you the boot menu to select the flash drive. If F12 does not work it may need to be enabled in BIOS.

reiterate - you can't use it on a microsoft account password. like when you login using your email account.

#4 AppleNewOrleans

AppleNewOrleans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:52 PM

I'm trying to either hack the password or reinstall windows.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:21 PM

If you have no idea what the password is, and you know that the account in question is not a local account (and I'd say even if you know that it is), you'd be far better off to extract the drive and get whatever data you wish to get copied off of it, reformat it, and install Windows 10 from scratch.

The machine is already licensed, so reinstallation is a cinch.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:44 PM

"...Lazesoft will only remove or reset the local password, not a Windows Account Password..."  JohnC, I need to re-learn this!  What is the local password?  What is the Windows Account password?  I need my memory jogged and kicked into gear.

I see BriTechGuy and I posted at the same time  :)

Edited by RolandJS, 29 November 2017 - 08:45 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:59 PM

Roland,

I'm not clear about what you're hoping to relearn.

A local account under Windows 8 or Windows 10 is pretty much what a user account had been under Windows 7.  It is local to a single machine, there are no cloud-based components to it (in any meaningful sense).   On two different machines you can create local account "Person1" and that user can have a different password on each and there is no connection between "Person1" on machine one and "Person1" on machine two.

A Microsoft Account linked Windows 8 or Windows 10 user account does have a cloud-based component.  You can manage the password for your Windows account and Microsoft account simultaneously by changing it on your Microsoft account.  Information about what programs you've purchased and licensed, etc., as well as synced settings for Edge and the like are maintained.   If you set up an account on Windows 10 machine one using xyz@abc.com as the login ID, and you later attempt to set up xyz@abc.com on other Windows 10 machines you have to know the password for the account in order to set it up on the subsequent Windows 10 machines.  It is, essentially, a grand-unified account that can be activated on as many Windows 10 machines as you choose and there is a raft of information carried along with it via Microsoft's cloud storage for that account.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:06 PM

Thanks BriTechGuy - I just wanted to make sure...   :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 six-h

six-h

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:15 PM

I've just come across this whilst searching t'internet for some help with a Toshiba Satellite L750D Laptop, which I have come to own due to a tenant who disowned it when he left my property.
It is far too good to dump, and though it has a W7 64bit COA Sticker, I suspect it has been upgraded to W10 because though I can't log in to it, all the screens from loading through to the log in screen are typical of those I see on both my W10 Machines.

I have in the past circumvented XP log in passwords using Safe Mode, but these days the system security is more refined.

I need help here! I'm stumbling around in the dark, I thought Hiren's Boot CD was the answer to a Maiden's prayer, but just reading the above, I'm now well and truly confused!

Can someone help me baby steps, simple language (for a simple bugger!) :)

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:33 PM

What is the point in even trying to hack into a Windows 10 PC for which you have no password if you are not trying to preserve the data?   If you want to attempt to preserve the data it makes far more sense to pop out the disk drive and connect it to another machine as an external disk drive and take ownership of the folders you want.

In any case, if you want to be able to get in to the machine and don't care one whit about the data try Doing a Completely Clean Install of Windows 10.  You'll then be setting up the machine as though it had just come out of the box.

#11 six-h

six-h

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 04:39 PM

Thanks britechguy, I'm not confident of what would happen if I hit the re-set button! The laptop has a COA for W7 on the base but all the screens I've seen whilst trying to get in tell me it's likely upgraded to W10 and I could do without the hassle of seeing if it will re install without problems.

With the help of good old Linux, I've gained control and lo! ...it's running W10 Pro.

Happy Bunny! :)

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 04:52 PM

If it's running Win10 Pro doing a clean install of Win10 Pro should be a snap.

Windows 10 is, by far, the easiest of the Windows OSes when it comes to reinstallation, regardless of the exact mechanism you choose to use.

#13 six-h

six-h

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:25 PM

Its just me, I had a bad experience installing W10 on my newly built NUC machine last year.

Having bought a cheap copy of Win 8.1 solely to use the "key" for the W10 install I was convinced that it would all be fine!

...Wrong!

first off, the update tool which creates the USB installation media "hung" part way through and at silly o'clock in the morning, I had to just shut down and go to bed, fearing it might be a fire risk ...but no, it wouldn't let me have any control so I just cut the power!

Next day the boot media as expected  was no good and needed re- doing, but the worse bit was that my fairly new Medion Erazer laptop was getting messages from MS that something was wrong and various unexpected things were happening!

Had to get Medion to help sort it out which took the best part of a week!

I was going on my Hols at the weekend and could have done without the stress and worry.

On my return, having successfully created the install USB, and actually installed the blessed OS, my product key was rejected as "not recognised!!

Another week spent on the phone to and from India to MS and to TESCO HQ (they sold me the dratted Win 8.1 disks).

No one in MS London or Mumbai recognised the version of Win 8.1 which was designated "Full Version".

Upshot was that under pressure from TESCO's Chief Exec, MS granted me a new Key for Win 10 Pro which installed as you say, "like a snap".

I really don't think that my mental health could stand another similar experience!

...It would as you say "Snap"! :)

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:12 PM

six-h,

I would very safely say that your initial experience was highly atypical and your second more characteristic.

I wonder where TESCO got those discs from, as there never was such a thing as a "Full Version."  Any discs claiming to be from Microsoft should only carry a designation that Microsoft uses.  That would be Home or Pro (at least for retail versions) during the Windows 8/8.1 era.

#15 six-h

six-h

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 08:29 PM

I seem to have that kind of luck!

These are pics of the package.

I still have the disks and more importantly (if accepted) the "Key", so I suppose I could technically use it to get an install of W10 Home.

Not sure if you will be able to see the attached pics, I can't 'cos sodding MBAM keeps blocking Postimage.org despite me having listed it as an exclusion!

Oyveh! once more typical of my experiences.

IMAG0051.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users