Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Problem.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Joehhh

Joehhh

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 02:27 AM

Hi. Yesterday, my area's electricity cut off whilst I was on my computer. When the electricity returned, I turned on my computer and I got an error:

---------------------------------------------

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unsual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

----------------------------------------------

After I got this message the first time, I restarted the computer and then I realised it took about a fair 1-2Minutes on the Welcome screen and then it took about another 2 Minutes for my taskbar and Icons to come up. Whilst the taskbar and icons came up, I entered task manager and in the Processes tab I realised that some processes had a blank spot in the Username column. (Most of the vital processes like: lsass.exe, services.exe, csrss.. etc. and others.) That computer is connected to this computer via LAN and the internet is no longer working on that computer. I have ran several virus scans and I have found no viruses at all.

I have also realised that:
- When I try run WoW and Guild Wars, they both come up with an error telling me to contact either Blizzard/A.Net. The error has something to do with TCP/IP or something along those lines.

- My LAN Icon is still trying to connect.

- When I open up Steam it comes up with a message saying:
Steam.exe (main exception): WSAStartup () for 2.0 returned error code 10107.

- When trying to sign into MSN messenger, the 'sign in' button doesn't work. (No error message of any sort comes up)

Note: Yesterday, before the electricity cut out, the other computer was working absolutely fine.

Is there anything I can do without reformatting? If not then, please, still tell me.

Thanks in advanced.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 03:06 AM

hi, Joe,

sounds like your file system is pretty frazzled. try, opening mycomputer, click on c: (if c holds your os), right click, select properties, tools tab, select 'check now' under error checking, put a tick in the two boxes. it will probably tell you it has to restart, go ok.

if you still have probs with installed apps, you may have to uninstall and reinstall them.

to be sure your memory wasnt damaged by powerout, you could always give it a check,

http://www.memtest86.com/

if the check disk doesnt solve your problems you may have to do a windows repair

good luck

Edited by rubiconeye, 25 September 2006 - 03:06 AM.

#3 Joehhh

Joehhh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 04:22 AM

I'm afraid that didn't entirely help me, although I dont think the error message is coming back BUT my internet still doesnt work. Thanks anyways.

[Still hasn't done windows repair]

Edited by Joehhh, 25 September 2006 - 04:23 AM.

#4 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 04:38 AM

hi, Joe,

try replacing any defective system files before opting for a windows repair. click start, run, and type sfc /scannow you may be asked to insert your xp disk in cd drive.

there is also a tutorial on this site how to reinstall ie if required. check tutorial section.

did you also check your memory?

#5 Joehhh

Joehhh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:22 AM

Thanks for the help anyways, but I resolved the problem without reformatting. Also I couldnt have done the memory check cause the internet wasnt working :thumbsup:

So, I've figured out my problem. This is what I did (for anyone who crosses the same problem)

After hours of looking on google, I realised that the cause of this problem was Ad-aware SE Personal and it happens to corrupt your Winsock registeries.

Symptoms:

Ok now, if you go to Start > Run > type: cmd [Now command prompt will appear] > type in command prompt: ping. Not working? Well it's not meant to. Now you are sure that ad-aware has gotten ya or it could be from install/uninstalling stuff.

When you open up your web browser it will appear with Page cannot be displayed.
-----------
Ok now...
To get rid of the error message I got, I just uninstalled Norton.

Resolution:
1. Start > Run > regedit > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > System > CurrentControlSet > Services > Scroll down until you see Winsock and Winsock2 > Delete them both.
2. Restart your computer. [Don't worry, windows will "create" new registries]
3. Open network connection, and then click properties.
2. Click install
3. Click Protocol, click add
4. Click "have disk.."
5. Type in C:\Windows\inf
6. Click ok
7. Chose Internet protocol (TCP/IP)
8. Click Ok
9. Restart your computer.

What you have just done repairs your TCP/IP, not entirely sure but it worked from me.
Edit/Delete Message

#6 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:37 AM

hi, Joe,

glad u got your problem resolved :-)

just for future info, Joe, a windows repair would not have reformatted your drive,

take care.

#7 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 01:52 PM

I don't understand how a lightning storm could mess up everything like that, unless of course you didn't turn off the power and norton was in the middle of a task and it became partially corrupt, I was originally going to guess bad sectors like everyone else, but i'm glad you figured it out, if you would take any advice on prevention, I suggest a UPS, however if lightning hits your computer, a ups MAY take the hit, but it's always best to shut down your computer during a storm.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:05 AM

There's a couple of problems with lightning that can cause damage systems even if you have surge suppressors:

1) Turning the surge suppressor off doesn't always mean that the surge won't arc over the switch contacts and get to the system.
2) The first lightning strike may take our your surge suppressor and a second strike then has free access to your system (I've had this happen)
3) The lightning hits your internet connection cable rather than the power lines - and then goes through the modem and router to hit your system (I've had this happen also).

I now have multiple surge suppressor systems in my home and the wife's office. I have one where the cable comes into the house, one for the router and cable modem (for power, coax, and LAN connections) and one for each system (for power and LAN connections). I've also got a UPS for my primary system at home.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:31 AM

When the power goes off while the computer is on it is the same thing as a hard shutdown which can and will corrupt your op system files and program files.

The best protection is a good UPS, one that will protect your incoming phone line if you have one connected to your computer, and one that will protect your incoming cable/dsl line.

Most if not all come with software to allow your computer to keep running for a period of time you set and then shutdown the computer in a normal fashion.

I live in Florida, the lightning capital of the world, and mine has protected my setup more times than I can count.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users