Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop cannot detect public wifi (others can, and laptop detects other wifi)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 luachhabibi

luachhabibi

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:43 AM

Hello,

My problem in a nutshell.

- I have 3 laptops. All of which used to be able to detect this particular public WIFI hotspot (optimum, if it is important).
- Two of them suddenly (over the past week or so), can no longer detect the public WIFI.
- My 3rd laptop, and my cell phone, are able to detect the WIFI (as do others' laptops and cell phones).
- When I connect a USB wireless WIFI adapter to my laptops, both laptops can detect the WIFI.

My operating systems are Windows 7 for one laptop, and Windows 10 for the other.

I have encountered problems reading advice meant for similar situations:
1) It did not work, when I tried it here (resetting adapter, updating drivers)
2) It did not match my situation (much of it focused on personal WIFI access)
3) I did not understand it, and it apparently was meant for more advanced users.

I do not know much about computers. But if you are willing to go back and forth with me, I would greatly appreciate it, and follow all of your instructions and provide you with any screenshots you need.

Edited by Al1000, 01 December 2017 - 12:10 PM.
remove spam links

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:15 PM

i would go into the device manager and remove the wifi adapters on both laptops, and then select the computer at the top of the tree.  then at the top one of the drop down menu's has scan for new hardware and then let it re-install the drivers for the wifi.

#3 luachhabibi

luachhabibi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:39 AM

i would go into the device manager and remove the wifi adapters on both laptops, and then select the computer at the top of the tree.  then at the top one of the drop down menu's has scan for new hardware and then let it re-install the drivers for the wifi.

I tried that and it didn't work :(

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:25 AM

One thing to try that may or may not help. Download Window Repair. Only check the box next to Network Repair. Nothing else.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

#5 luachhabibi

luachhabibi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:55 AM

One thing to try that may or may not help. Download Window Repair. Only check the box next to Network Repair. Nothing else.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

I tried it on my Windows 10 laptop first, accidentally forgot your instruction to only check Network Repair.... Long story short it took forever, didn't fix the problem, and then I ran system restore to try and reverse what I did. I am still in the process of finishing it up. 

I tried it on my Windows 7 laptop, and it didn't help :/

#6 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:31 AM

Are the laptop NIC's in question Broadcom?

Have you tried identifying the relevant Broadcom NIC, then downloading current available stable driver, then try device manager> update driver>browse let me choose, to install rather than windows taking care of this?

Edited by Replicator, 07 December 2017 - 08:34 AM.

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:20 AM

Also, can you connect to Wifi using Safe Mode with Networking? 

#8 luachhabibi

luachhabibi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:53 AM

Have you tried identifying the relevant Broadcom NIC, then downloading current available stable driver, then try device manager> update driver>browse let me choose, to install rather than windows taking care of this?

Hello,

I do not know much about computers, so bear with me here. What is an NIC? What is a Broadcom? Are there any steps that I can follow to do what you suggested? 

Needless to say, no I have not done that yet. 

#9 luachhabibi

luachhabibi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:55 AM

Also, can you connect to Wifi using Safe Mode with Networking? 

Unfortunately, I left my Windows 10 laptop at work. I won't know for a few days. 

For my Windows 7 laptop I cannot check, because the screen doesn't work, and I connect it to an external monitor. The external monitor however, only works when it is not connected to safe mode. 

I will update you on the Windows 10 laptop as soon as I get the laptop back. 

Shai

#10 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:04 PM

Hello,

I do not know much about computers, so bear with me here. What is an NIC? What is a Broadcom? Are there any steps that I can follow to do what you suggested? 

No problem......your NIC is your Network Interface Card, basically it helps your computer to communicate with your router and hook you to the internet, and Broadcom are a manufacturer of such cards.

To find out who makes your card....... for Win10 right click on the start button and select 'device manager'.

Expand 'network adapters' and tell us any names you see listed along with 'Wireless LAN'

Once we can ID it, then we can continue to rule out possible driver issues!

Rep

#11 luachhabibi

luachhabibi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:35 PM

Hello,

No problem......your NIC is your Network Interface Card, basically it helps your computer to communicate with your router and hook you to the internet, and Broadcom are a manufacturer of such cards.

To find out who makes your card....... for Win10 right click on the start button and select 'device manager'.

Expand 'network adapters' and tell us any names you see listed along with 'Wireless LAN'

Once we can ID it, then we can continue to rule out possible driver issues!

Rep

Okay my Windows 10 is again at work, but I will have it in a couple of days. I thought I would update you with the Windows 7 in the meantime. Attached is the screenshot of what happens when I go to look at my NIC. 

I don't know how to download the current available stable driver but Windows says that these drivers are up to date. 

Edited by luachhabibi, 21 December 2017 - 09:35 PM.

#12 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:27 AM

When you get it back, try removing the stored wireless network profiles on the win10 system, then let your NIC search for the network again.

To do this :

Open a command prompt as admin (right click cmd prompt and select run as admin) > type the command ​netsh wlan show profiles

ID ​the profile for the public wifi your trying to connect to, then type  netsh wlan delete profile name="Insert profile name here"

Le​t you NIC identify the network again and try to reconnect!

Rep

Edited by Replicator, 22 December 2017 - 08:28 AM.

#13 luachhabibi

luachhabibi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:38 PM

When you get it back, try removing the stored wireless network profiles on the win10 system, then let your NIC search for the network again.

To do this :

Open a command prompt as admin (right click cmd prompt and select run as admin) > type the command ​netsh wlan show profiles

ID ​the profile for the public wifi your trying to connect to, then type  netsh wlan delete profile name="Insert profile name here"

Le​t you NIC identify the network again and try to reconnect!

Rep

Okay, so I tried that the first round I tried fixing the laptop (before I got onto this board). What happened was after I did that, I was able to see the network, for a couple of minutes, it wouldn't connect, and then it went back to never appearing. 

I tried it again now, for the sake of following your instructions and couldn't make it past the first step because it says no profiles (screenshot attached). 

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users