Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 new HDD Windows setup could not configure Windows on this computer's hardw

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 karrun

karrun

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:11 AM

Based on advice on the BSOD forum, we are attempting to replace the HDD on my husband's HP Pavilion. Here's the link to his specs:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KSrENxRYTXIHCCetVJcmo4k

We bought a Seagate Barracuda SATA HDD 1TB model ST1000LM048

We ran into the above error when attempting the clean install of Win 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit. According to this article from Microsoft, it is most likely because we are installing an advanced format HDD into an older laptop. Their suggestion was to download drivers from Intel, which I think I did (there were a number of drivers so I wasn't quite sure which was the correct one). They seemed to install correctly. I was to reinstall the OS, which I attempted to do. Again, got the same error.

Is this something that needs to be changed in the BIOS? I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

Edited by hamluis, 29 November 2017 - 09:36 AM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:36 AM

Per your MS link:

"This error occurs because of an issue with the Intel storage controller driver that's included in the released versions of Windows 7 and of Windows Server 2008 R2. This issue is resolved in Windows 7 SP1 and in Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1."

According to that quote, you have a dissimilar situation...since you are trying to clean install W7, SP1.

Louis

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:45 AM

Do you have the full model number or serial number of the HP Pavilion?

Did you run Seatools for Windows, both short and long tests on the hard drive? 

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 November 2017 - 09:47 AM.

#4 karrun

karrun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:12 AM

Do you have the full model number or serial number of the HP Pavilion?

Did you run Seatools for Windows, both short and long tests on the hard drive? 

SeaTools short test failed on error, can't quite remember exactly what it said. Long test wouldn't run at all. Based on that, I was advised to replace HDD.

The model number is HP pavilian DM4-3050US

Thanks!

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:25 AM

Try this first. Boot the Windows install disk. At the screen where it asks for language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt. Type the following commands.

diskpart

list disk

select disk X     X will be the number of the drive you will install windows to. This is 0 on a one drive computer.

clean                 This will wipe any partitions on the drive. On a clean drive this shouldn't be required but it can't hurt

convert GPT     I believe this computer is UEFI and requires the drive first be initialized as a GPT disk

exit

exit

continue with the install. If you still receive the error post back. If the install continues at the screen where it shown the blank drive click next and Windows will automatically partition and format the drive.

#6 karrun

karrun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:26 AM

Try this first. Boot the Windows install disk. At the screen where it asks for language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt. Type the following commands.

diskpart

list disk

select disk X     X will be the number of the drive you will install windows to. This is 0 on a one drive computer.

clean                 This will wipe any partitions on the drive. On a clean drive this shouldn't be required but it can't hurt

convert GPT     I believe this computer is UEFI and requires the drive first be initialized as a GPT disk

exit

exit

continue with the install. If you still receive the error post back. If the install continues at the screen where it shown the blank drive click next and Windows will automatically partition and format the drive.

Thanks! Will try this this evening and report back.

#7 karrun

karrun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:17 PM

Rats. Same message. I followed your instructions and everything seemed to go fine, but I got to the same point on the install and got the same message.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:28 PM

Where in the install process do you get this message. Is it in the below Window?

windows-7-clean-install-A-58070cbf3df78c

See the below install guide. You did not select Upgrade, correct? This would be image 9.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-7-2624917

#9 karrun

karrun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:51 PM

No, I did not select upgrade, rather Install a new copy of Windows. 

Today the error message appeared late in the install process, after the installing, features, updates, etc and after the system restarts. Then I got the error message. At least that's what happened to me today. I think I got the error message yesterday earlier in the installation process, before the restart.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:29 PM

It possible the DVD is bad because the problem is happening in different areas of the install. Is there a COA sticker on the bottom of the computer showing a legible key? Did you purchase this DVD from HP? This DVD is for Home Premium, correct? 

You can download an iso of Home Premium using this tool. When it starts answer No to helping with resources. Select Home Premium. You will get a link for Windows Home Premium. Click on it and download the iso file. After you have the iso file you can burn it to a DVD using isoburner at a speed no faster than 8x. You can also use Rufus with the iso file if you wish to make a bootable USB flash drive.

After creating the USB flash drive or DVD tap F9 at boot. This will give you a boot menu to select your DVD or USB flash drive.

Edit: Your Windows 7 DVD is 64bit and SP1, correct?

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 November 2017 - 09:31 PM.

#11 karrun

karrun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:57 AM

I doubt it's the disc, as I have both a 64 bit and a 32, and I get the same error for both of them.The DVD(s) is purchased directly from Microsoft. To be honest, I'm not  sure if it's SP1 or SP2. I assumed it was SP1 because that was the OS that was on the old HDD, and I assumed it was installed from the disks I have, but maybe not.  I checked the markings on the disks and case and nowhere does it say anything about SP numbers. 

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:16 AM

There is no Windows 7 SP2 but you can find out if your disk is SP1 using the following method.

Boot with that CD and choose repair your computer, then when asked open the command prompt.

Look at the "welcome" text it appears, it should show the Windows version number (or if it don't appears, use the vercommand). If the version number is 6.1.7600, it doesn't includes SP1. If it's 6.1.7601 it has SP1.

https://www.sevenforums.com/software/363590-possible-see-if-my-windows-7-disc-has-sp1.html

If your disk is not SP1 that is why you are having the problem with the install as SP1 takes care of the advanced format drives per the link in your first post. I will need to find the driver if your disk is not SP1 or you can download Windows 7 SP1 install using the tool I linked to.

If it is SP1 then perhaps the optical drive itself has a problem. If during the install Windows starts to install files to the disk then no driver is required.

#13 karrun

karrun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:49 AM

Okay, I'll check the version tonight. The install does proceed to the point where the system is restarted, so I assume no driver is required.

Edited by hamluis, 30 November 2017 - 08:25 PM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:00 AM

You can also check if the DVD is SP1 using the following command on any Windows 7 or later computer.

Open an elevated command prompt and type:

dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:X:\sources\install.wim /index:1

Substitute your DVD drive letter for X

#15 karrun

karrun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:42 AM

Thank you