Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD fire!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 totnestim

totnestim

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:48 AM

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar to this and what might be the cause? There must have been flames and quite a bit of heat as there were scortching marks in the case and on screws.

I have 2 of the these drives ADATA 480GB SSD in a Windows Server. both have burn marks on the power connectors. I contacted ADATA who says it's not covered under warranty, could it be caused by the power supply or the power connector?

I've replaced the power supply in the server (Although it worked fine and other drives were fine). Tested the SSD's and surprisingly both drives still work (after removing the burnt plastic), but I'm guessing it's too risky to reuse them? The drives cost £160 each and I don't really want to bin them.

All parts in the server are under 2 years old, which part is at fault do you think? and am I likely to get anywhere under warranty?

Thanks, Tim

Attached Files

Edited by totnestim, 29 November 2017 - 11:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:07 AM

The overload protection in your power supply should have prevented that, providing that your power supply has one?

Adata is not know for it's quality either

Get a better power supply and better SSD's, those are questionable to use again

Edited by Joe C, 29 November 2017 - 04:12 PM.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:00 AM

I don't know your situation that you are using a server for, but if this is for a commercial work environment and you are an administrator, it is foolish to keep those drives whether they work perfectly at the present time or not. If those fail and data is lost it may impact your professional credibility.

If this is a home situation, then I suggest keeping a regular backup program in case of failure. Then it would be your option.

Just one man's opinion.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:05 AM

I think I would try using one of the SSDs again after replacing the cables and power supply. That overheating of the

cables should show up during the first day of use in my opinion.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:21 AM

As an electronics technician, it's difficult to make a diagnosis from images alone. Not everything about the images seems immediately clear, but I consider most likely a short circuit in the PSU plug to the upper drive. Very high current has melted the wiring and plastic connector housing. The conclusion the drive hasn't caused it is supported by fact that the contacts could not pass that much current without showing considerable contact burn damage, whereas they are largely intact. Plus of course that the drives still work.

One thing that isn't clear without physical inspection is whether the markings at the edges of the contact fingers on the drives are from external contaminants, or could indicate carbonization of the plastic between the contacts. Any carbonized plastic should be dug away with a fine blade, since being conductive, it can cause future problems. Otherwise, if the drives function normally, they should be quite usable.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 totnestim

totnestim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for your replies.

It is a commercial server for shared folders, customer database and booking system (though in our family business). Everything was backed up so no problems. both drives were powered from the same IDE power connector to a double sata power adapter.

I have continued using the lesser damaged drive, but do you think I should scrap it and get something like a samsung 850 pro? Power supply was a cheap EVO labs, temporarily replaced for a CIT but have a Corsair VS 450 on order now.

the marks on the contacts appear to be carbonised plastic. See below the worst one with the damaged plastic scraped away (sorry added to original post!).

Thanks,Tim

Edited by totnestim, 29 November 2017 - 11:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users