Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System fan only running at max speed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Icarus18

Icarus18

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:01 AM

System Specs: 

Alienware Aurora R-3

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2300
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
PSU: EVGA 600B
Windows 7

Hi, I seem to be having some trouble with my system fan after upgrading my PSU and GPU. Normally the fan will start off loud upon turning on my PC and then wind down after a few seconds, however this is no longer the case. Instead it maintains a steady 4000-4035 rpm even while idling and the temperatures have been sitting around 26C. The PC hasn't shown any signs of overheating and all of my system diagnostics have checked out. The fan isn't grinding or anything like that - it's just extremely loud and annoying. 

I'm not really sure what to do at this point; the inside of the PC is clean, I've tried reinstalling the Alienware command center, and tried adjusting the fans manually via SpeedFan to no avail. Any help would be appreciated!

Edited by Icarus18, 29 November 2017 - 10:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:31 PM

that's a sign that you have lost the thermal connection between the heatsink and the cpu, or you have added to much thermal compound and it not able to transfer heat.   you only need a small pea size drop on the center of the cpu chip or chips to conduct heat properly.

did you bump or remove the heatsink when removing psu or graphics card?  check to see if it came loose.

#3 Icarus18

Icarus18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:32 PM

Just checked the heatsink and everything is secure. I haven't done anything with thermal compound for as long as I've had this PC (coming up on 6 years), is that something I should consider?

#4 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:06 AM

Have you checked your settings in your bios?

There are fan settings on some pc's that you can adjust from within your bios. If your losing your bios settings, including time/date, then it might be time for a new cmos battery

#5 Icarus18

Icarus18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:53 PM

Have you checked your settings in your bios?

There are fan settings on some pc's that you can adjust from within your bios. If your losing your bios settings, including time/date, then it might be time for a new cmos battery

Yep, I looked in BIOS. I wasn't able to find anything about fan settings in there. The BIOS settings themselves seem okay - time/dates are accurate.

#6 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:22 PM

just because your heat sink is secure to the board does not mean it's ok.   over time the thermal paste turns hard and creates a bond with the cpu chip.   if the heatsink has been bumped and the bond is broken

it will not pass heat efficiently and your fans will run at full speed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users