Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifes Iphone Consistently Acting Strange

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SenorSySoP

SenorSySoP

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:11 AM

Letsj​ just say this has been a crappy year for our home IT department.  we switched to Verizon for better coverage and to IPhone from Androids although our family has a  half dozen Ipads active.   The issue is with wife's iPhone.  She is convinced she has been hacked and people are listening to her calls and tracking her.  For months I got the blame for this but had nothing to do with in.   I will spare all the drama and distill this down to just of the multiple issues.

​Take iMaps app, the standard tom tom app that comes preloaded with iphones.   Everyday she has random addresses showing up in her map searches and history.  She has the screenshots too.   Just yesterday she gets a reminder that someone is leaving an address.  This not something she did  mind you but it is as if she set up a geo fence.  Sadly all off this has really take a toll on us.   She is now on her 5th iPhone, 3 different phone numbers, and dozen different apple Id's and the problem still persists.   Another common daily occurrence is settings change randomly.  She could every option in accessibility off and the next day 3-4 are on.  She believes they are using her contacts and I am a logical person so I can wrap my head around why someone would do this and for what gain?   Photos and apps disappear, settings change on their own and maps have a mind of their own routinely showing frequent places that we have nothing to do with.   This has caused so many fights as she believed I was eavesdropping.  then the next day, very topical address appear again in her history field within maps.   They went on to mark address that were for topless bars, gay areas, and all sorts of smut like locations.   Now about a year later, I am not longer the chief suspect but this persists regardless of reset, new phones, new iTunes ID.  the only common denmominator is Verizon.   Is is possible that they are corrupuring her phone or have a security leak.  I wonder if her old sim is active.   Lastly, just today, her phone was call forwarded to her old phone number, the original one ported from another carrier last year.   We no longer have that phone but her new phone number was set to call forward to it .

​I know this is all to much to wrap your head around but can anyone think of any reason why pin are showing up I'm her maps?  all our PCs have been infected as was our router. I confirmed this scany app and noticed a man in the middle right after the 5th verizom hop which looked like it came from eastern Europe.   Anyway hundreds of screen shots later all apple can say is reset your  phone.   well this has become a near daily occurrence and a major crisis because she is convinced she is being violated.   Lastly, my phone number is blocked more than half the time.  She is not doing this.   

​She is now using a brand new iPhone 8 running 11.2 with entirely new apple id's and iTunes/appstore ids'.   well guess what it all started again witihin 24 hours.

I am not a kook.   I was as skeptical as everyone but this is absolutely insane.   Thoughs?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:31 PM

Did this all happen after you switched to Verizon? It seems like you keep trying to narrow down the common denominator but can't find it. Is a backup being done each new phone or is she starting fresh every time?

Personally I think it's an app interfering with Maps or an email address that's been compromised, especially if she's restoring from a backup or reinstalling said app/settings on her new device. If I'm not mistaken Maps can suggest locations based on searches and other apps suggestions. Try going into Settings>Maps>Siri & Search and disable "Search & Siri Suggestions" and "Find Locations in Other Apps".

Try that for a few days and see what happens. If after that it still continues, this is where it gets tricky. 

-Reset the device to factory.

-DO NOT log into everything or download apps right away. Instead use the phone as normal with no log ins and see if it happens again. (Will require some finesse, because I mean emails too. She'll have to check them on the computer)

-If it doesn't start again log into something and try it again for a few days (IE: Email) 

**There has been an odd "spam" chain that's been circulating with iPhone recently involving the Calendar app. You'll have reminders for events that contain ads, its basically a way of pushing an ad to you without it getting caught in your, for example, spam folder through email. It could be related to this.

It's going to be a troublesome process but there's obviously something wrong and there's a common denominator somewhere. 

nIDwkQT.gif

| IT Service Technician | A+ | Network+ | Gamer | iPhone Expert |

#3 SenorSySoP

SenorSySoP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:16 AM

thanks for the input.   We will try that and see.   Previously on her android phone we think she was being hit with secret codes via stealth sms.   You can see scripts and discussion on stackoverf and other places where this is commonly discussed.  We are receiving many phishing emails and texts and we dont even open the texts but as I understand it with stealth sms and these codes, you dont have to do anything as its all OTA without any user input required.   If this is common with Android, wouldnt it also be possible in ios?     Thanks again for the input.

#4 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:33 AM

It's probable I guess, although far less likely, as iOS is actually quite secure compared to other mobile operating systems. Over the last few years the phishing scams have become more elaborate and now infect emails using the calendar like I mentioned briefly above. My wife and I experienced it for some time during iOS 10, where we would have reminders pop up with questionable descriptions, including links and random product details. The types of scams will only evolve over time.

I'm very curious to hear of the results so please keep me in the loop.

nIDwkQT.gif

| IT Service Technician | A+ | Network+ | Gamer | iPhone Expert |

#5 daliaeurope

daliaeurope

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:28 AM

That actually sound creepy, I would freak out and blame everyone around me if that hapened. Surprising though, I thought IOS is quite secure. Thank you for sharing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users