Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Server 2012 Backup using two different external hard drives

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:52 PM

Hello,

I am looking to doing a windows server 2012 backup using two different external hard drives. One of the hard drives will be backed Mon, Wed, Fri and the other hard drive to be backed up Wed and Thurs.  I found the command online so I am able to do this but for some reason I get a generic error message.

Below is the command that I am using with SCHTASKS:

/Create /SC WEEKLY /D "MON, WED, FRI" /TN MonWedFriBackup /RL HIGHEST /ST 00:00 /TR "WBADMIN START SYSTEMSTATEBACKUP -backupTarget:H:\Backup -include:E: -quiet >> C:\backupLogs.txt"

Right now I am backing up using one hard drive everyday but I would like to switch to backing up 5 days a week using the command above.

The error code that I am receiving is the generic 0xFFFFFFFF.

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 androbourne

androbourne

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:08 AM

You wouldn't need to use a script to get what you are looking for.

I normally just configure the Windows Server Backup job and add each external drive to the backup set. Set it to do full daily.

This way you just unplug one drive and plug in the other whenever you want. You will always have full backup sets on each drive and wont have to worry about scripting fulls on a weekly bases.

If you need to increase the retention ranges. You can just add more externals to the backup job.

Also, if you want more control over your backups which are limited in Windows Server Backup. Try Veeam Agent for Windows. It is free and awesome. I use it on my home network and for a lot of my client in the field.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:57 PM

Another vote for Veeam Agent for Windows, the software really is bullet proof. 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 02:14 PM

I just create a backup script in notepad, save it as a .bat (using something similar to what you have with windows backup) and create a task scheduler to run it every night.

The way I do it is do a AD backup using the windows backup to backup every night. Mine allows me to save it to different folders after it backs up and move it to specific folders on the network so I have a timeline of backups.

It was a cheap way to backup the Active Directory schema incase of anything. Saved our bacon when a older DC was joined to the new DC and the new DC wasn't replicating and got stuck.

Edited by MasterNe0, 22 December 2017 - 02:15 PM.

#5 Jickas

Jickas

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 30 December 2017 - 08:42 AM

Another vote for Veeam Agent for Windows, the software really is bullet proof. 

+ free to use, simple and stable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users