Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Window update clean up

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 johnedee

johnedee

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:23 PM

When using Windows disk cleaner app. under "clean up system files" it shows that Windows updates are taking up 4 gig of space which I would like to recover. I ran the cleaner, re-scanned, and much to my surprise nothing was cleaned. Ran it once more, and again after cleaning nothing was removed. I can not install any updates until I free up some of that disk space.

Scoured through Microsoft's "help resources" and found zero information, except how to clean update cache. Not what I need. Is there a way to remove the Windows updates that are taking up storage space that I so desperately need?

Any help would be more than greatly appreciated.

Jonny Dee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:36 PM

Hi,

Did you restart the machine after the clean up? some things are only removed on a second stage after a reboot and it could take some time to see the results.

If you have very low free space on the system drive it could make the cleanup of the system files to fail.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 johnedee

johnedee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I restarted after each attempt to no avail. I truly am stumped. I got conflicting and useless info when I tried to research this. Under power shell with admin permission after stopping update service was told to enter following command: del "%systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.log" kept getting path not recognized. That's when I reached out for help.

jonny dee

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 01:09 AM

In Disk Cleanup, when you click on clean up system files, a list of entries show up.

What are the biggest hitters in that list that are not being deleted?

EDIT: Is the HDD essentially full?

Edited by cmptrgy, 29 November 2017 - 01:13 AM.

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,082 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:30 AM

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I restarted after each attempt to no avail. I truly am stumped. I got conflicting and useless info when I tried to research this. Under power shell with admin permission after stopping update service was told to enter following command: del "%systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.log" kept getting path not recognized. That's when I reached out for help.
jonny dee

I don't think its good idea to mess with that file.

If Windows isn't reporting that there are new updates to install you can safely delete all files inside

c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ not the folder itself.

Windows Update stores the downloaded files before install on this folder so its perfectly safe to delete what is inside.

How much free space you have?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#6 johnedee

johnedee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:08 AM

As I stated in my first post it under system files while running disc clean app it indicates that there are  3.96 gig of windows updates that can be cleaned. Unfortunately, it never cleans any of them, even though it says its doing so.

I also did what was suggested regarding C;\windows\softwaredistribution\download\ which I thought would do the trick. However, it didn't. The updates mainly consist of newer build(s) of window 10, which apparently even though the newest supersedes the older, it does not remove the prior version of windows 10 update.

After updating to the latest build, I got a message indicating low on storage space, and am unable to install the latest security patches issued yesterday.

Before I go any further, I should mention to anyone responding that the PC in question is an Intel Computestick, which I use to essentially for accessing streaming services via smart TV (kind of like giving it a Cambridge education versus a community college, LOL). Barring an Revo uninstaller app, and CCleaner, nothing else is taking up space except for the aforementioned installed windows update(s). Storage space is limited to 10 gig, and those installed updates are eating up almost 40%.

jonny dee

Microsoft tech responded saying that keeps the software stored for up to 10 days post install (ie security patches, updates, etc.) however, it keeps all the build updates stored in case there's an error and and one has to return to prior build

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,082 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:39 AM

The Windows.old folder still exist?

Its crazy to have Windows 10 running on devices with so low storage capacity.

___
Rui

#8 johnedee

johnedee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:20 AM

For the life of me I can not find the "windows.old" folder, searched for it yesterday before posting. Like I said before, not your typical PC. The compute stick is limited to 10 gig. Can a clean reset/reinstall erase (clean up) those files. I realize that is a last ditch effort, but at this point I'm willing to give it a go since I wont lose anything other than two apps which I can reinstall. The 3 build updates are more than a gig each, so I am thinking that a clean reset will eliminate all but the latest version and build of windows 10. Your thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

jonny dee

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,082 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 01:32 PM

Resetting Windows 10 using the option to Remove Everything should result in a clean system

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/reset-windows-10-pc

___
Rui

#10 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:37 PM

Run this in cmd file. You may need to restart, and run again.

net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
md C:\Windows\NewFolder
robocopy C:\Windows\NewFolder C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution /MIR
rd C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution /s /q
rd C:\Windows\NewFolder /s /q
md C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
Dism /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
net start wuauserv
net start bits
pause

Edited by dhagerjohns, 29 November 2017 - 02:38 PM.

#11 johnedee

johnedee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:03 PM

Thanks for the help. Spent better part of afternoon doing a fresh install. A royal PIMA, LOL. but have ample space now. The irony of it all is that there is no longer a windows update cleanup associated with disk clean under system files. I have a very clean machine :bananas: . 

Once again thanks for the assistance!

jonny dee

#12 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,082 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:43 AM

Time to do Windows updates now :)

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users