Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen goes flickers/tears and/or goes black/loses power when maximize windows

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 J.Aza

J.Aza

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:23 PM

Hey now,

Terribly strange problem that just cropped up w/o any hardware changes (or software that I'm aware of.)

Background:

Dell E5520 Laptop (i5, on-board video) f/ FHD (1920x1080) 17" screen. 

Use with Dell docking station and two monitors at home.

When docked:

Monitor 1 - HP LP2465 (16:10) set as 1200x1920 (portrait) <== this is the problematic one

Monitor 2 - Acer 24" 1920x1080

Monitor 1 is the one that has the issue.

Set up is that in dock laptop's native display is off (in windows it's mirrored with the HP, Monitor 1) and desktop extended to the Acer (Monitor 2)

This worked well for the last 3 or so weeks (since I've added the HP - a new-to-me but 2nd hand monitor) and then suddenly a few days ago I started getting weird behaviors when I maximize a window on the HP - I get a flickering "vertical" line (vertical as the monitor is set to portrait) or sometimes I'll get a bunch of blue dots (similar to what you see in some screen tearing issues) or the monitor will just go blank for about 2 seconds and then come back on.  It will repeat this on and off, sometimes ending in just off.

I've never seen this behavior, it only happens when I maximize a window.  If I size the window to damn near maximized it doesn't do it but as soon as I maximize it does.  If I "restore" the window while it's happening, it stops.

And to make it stranger, if I maximize a window that's predominantly black (I have a time keeping app with a dark theme) then the monitor does NOT flicker.

Not sure where to look.  Could it be hardware?  What could fail in a monitor that would make it ONLY turn of in a maximized white window?

Software - I haven't changed any refresh rates since when it was working for the 3 weeks prior and haven't changed any softwares (save for Windows Updates but I don't think the vid driver's been touched) from when it was working to now. 

At a loss to explain this.  Would really appreciate some insight as to wth is going on, how to troubleshoot and (hopefully) resolve.

thanks much,

J.

Edited by hamluis, 29 November 2017 - 03:20 PM.
Movedx from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users