Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Raid 1 and backups for a complete noob. Help and suggestions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pooopoo

pooopoo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:00 PM

Hey

I've recently started doing photography and editing a lot and I find that my old ways of just relying on a laptop's limited capacity and crappy external drives isn't working out well. I've been looking to build a new pc even though i'm not so tech savvy (and know nothing about hardware really), and after some quick research it seemed i had a setup in mind as far as storage goes. I was gonna go for a 256gb or 512gb m.2 ssd, and have two 2tb wd reds (or black) in a raid 1 configuration in the case. After reading some more about it, I have my doubts about raid 1 and whether i need to bother with it. I was also thinking of having some sort of external back-up with larger drives that i could just have on a shelf, and another identical copy of that stored elsewhere on a shelf just in case. 

Now my questions. My doubt about raid 1... Do i have any reason to doubt it if I do periodically back everything up on other drives? When the drives are full and stored somewhere, is it as easy as plug in with an adapter and transfer files if needed? 

The other question I had is about external drives. Do I need fancy enclosures with several slots for drives and fans and different software for them to work properly if I only write stuff to them once every couple of months? What would be the best and most convenient way to do that sort of backup without having to have a clunky piece of metal on my desk all the time? In my head I'm thinking some sort of enclosure with two slots where i make an identical copy in both drives at once every time i back my stuff up. And like with the raid 1 thing, i would need to be able to just pull one of the drives out, take it with me somewhere and plug it in with an adapter and transfer files. 

Reading back at this i'm not sure if it's clear what exactly it is i'm asking. Sorry if it's confusing, english isn't my first language.

Edited by hamluis, 28 November 2017 - 05:08 PM.
Moved from System Building to Disk Mgmt - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,392 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:07 PM

I may be off base, however, I recommend not using RAID until you are thoroughly familiar (by training somewhere somehow) with RAID operations recovery and RAID-residing data recovery.  RAID is not a backup, RAID will not prevent ransomware effects.  Whatever you decide to do, please invest in a large enough external hard-drive that will accept full image backups of your OS and your Data partitions.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#3 pooopoo

pooopoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:05 AM

I may be off base, however, I recommend not using RAID until you are thoroughly familiar (by training somewhere somehow) with RAID operations recovery and RAID-residing data recovery.  RAID is not a backup, RAID will not prevent ransomware effects.  Whatever you decide to do, please invest in a large enough external hard-drive that will accept full image backups of your OS and your Data partitions.

So what would you suggest would be the best setup? The idea behind having two drives in a raid configuration on the pc was to sort of have one extra safety net inbetween actual external backups.
Also, is backing up the full OS and data partitions necessary? I was thinking of just having two copies of all my files in drives that i store somewhere.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,392 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:33 AM

"....is backing up the full OS and data partitions necessary? I was thinking of just having two copies of all my files in drives that i store somewhere..."   For most of us, having full image backups on affordable reliable external media is sufficient; especially when an OS and a Data partition has to be re-constructed - somehow.  I don't know how to copy OS folders and files onto other media that would do an OS restore if that ever became necessary.  Lady Fitzgerald over in sevenforums.com will tell you about the many who did not make image backups -- and must reDo almost everything, OS and Data, from scratch; they are not having a happy time doing so.

Edited by RolandJS, 29 November 2017 - 12:47 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,392 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:36 AM

"So what would you suggest would be the best setup? The idea behind having two drives in a raid configuration on the pc was to sort of have one extra safety net in between actual external backups."  I don't know what is best for your situation, just because I have one internal hard-drive with an OS "C" partition and a Data "D" partition does not mean that will work best for you.  The fact that you considered RAID tells me you studied and are studying computer setup and configuration before making your move -- you will do very well overall!

#6 pooopoo

pooopoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:10 PM

"So what would you suggest would be the best setup? The idea behind having two drives in a raid configuration on the pc was to sort of have one extra safety net in between actual external backups."  I don't know what is best for your situation, just because I have one internal hard-drive with an OS "C" partition and a Data "D" partition does not mean that will work best for you.  The fact that you considered RAID tells me you studied and are studying computer setup and configuration before making your move -- you will do very well overall!

Thank you for taking your time and sharing what you know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users