Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft sees the future of Windows 10 as Sets

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:35 PM

Microsoft said Tuesday that it plans to overhaul Windows 10 with a browser-like, tabbed application view dubbed “Sets” that groups apps and files by project. The changes will roll out over a period of months, if not years—but an upstart competitor already has a similar idea.

Think of Sets as a mashup of existing and emerging Windows 10 technologies. Take Windows Explorer and the little-used Task View within Windows 10, mix in the newer “Pick up where you left off” and “Timeline” features, and wrap it all into a single-window experience. The idea is that every task requires a set of apps—Mail, a browser, PowerPoint, even Win32 apps like Photoshop—and those apps will be optionally organized as tabs along a single window.

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,930 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:02 PM

I just got an email this morning about this from Terry Myerson. I should be installing it next week to try it out.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:59 PM

Haha "Sets" what will they come up with next, those silly Microsoft Developers.

Thanks JohnC_21

Edited by pcpunk, 07 December 2017 - 05:59 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:31 PM

Part of me wonders whether something like this might improve efficiency for multi-taskers, assuming that the usual workflow for using programs and files remains available elsewhere. But given ms's recent track record I doubt they'll get it to work very well.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:43 PM

I'm not doubting the app, it's just something I would never need, and not one of my customers would ever need either.  Though would be great for folks in the work setting to utilize if they were so inclined.  I just think things work better when they are simpler, and not all tied to MS.  They tend to try to lock you into Their Way, and then your stuck using Their Products.  So yes, I agree with you rp88, this may be very good for some.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,281 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:47 PM

I just think things work better when they are simpler, and not all tied to MS.  They tend to try to lock you into Their Way, and then your stuck using Their Products

OS features are, pretty much by definition, tied to their originators (though they're often appropriated by other makers, too).

I have to say that MS as a commercial entity has been the least guilty, over the decades, of either locking you into "Their Way," or requiring you to use "Their Products."  I believe you must be thinking of Apple, which is the textbook example of both.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:58 PM

A little off topic but can anybody imagine what the PC ecosystem would look like today if IBM locked the PC like Apple did with the Mac?

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,281 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:33 PM

A little off topic but can anybody imagine what the PC ecosystem would look like today if IBM locked the PC like Apple did with the Mac?

No, I really can't.  It seems that a number of other OS makers saw that largely open ecosystems were the way to go, thank heaven.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#9 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:25 PM

I quite like the idea of this application. The computer tasks I'm involved with would fair very well with "sets."

Rocky B, lucky you to get your hands on the app....I look forward to your review!

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:49 PM

It sounds like something from a "Seinfeld" episode, the one where Kramer decides to make his apartment into "Levels"  At about 8 Seconds in LOL.  

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:05 PM

pcpunk:   :lmao:I think you're on to something! These three lines <-snip-> might be what you're referencing:

I'm completely changing the configuration of the ........................

It's all in my head.........................

It's a simple job ..........................

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...sounds like?

:hysterical:

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:49 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking softeyes!  It's funny you saw that exact comedy in that episode as I did in those three quotes lol.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,930 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:04 AM

I quite like the idea of this application. The computer tasks I'm involved with would fair very well with "sets."

Rocky B, lucky you to get your hands on the app....I look forward to your review!

Microsoft has had some problems with the delivery of the latest beta package but us insiders are hopeful that we get it this week. I will report on it when I have some hands on experience.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:42 PM

Forget the "Sets" the Future is "Levels" Jerry "Levels!  LOL.  I think MS should just change there whole thinking to Levels haha.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:41 PM

I just received Sets today after talking with Jen Gentleman.  @JenMSFT.  I do believe it will be very useful, but it is still in development.  I will be pleased when different apps can be dragged, and dropped like tabs in Chrome.  Microsoft is really working wonders with Windows 10.  I am in the insider program, running Professional Workstation (digital license tied to my MS account) and am enjoying it immensely!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users