Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

aswMBR scan brings BSOD & system restarts. Am i infected?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rebeccavalentine

rebeccavalentine

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:43 AM

I use Windows 10 with latest updates. I have Avira antivirus installed, & I use WinPatrol free version along with HitManPro.alert ( Free Trial has expired, but it still protects my browser & also encrypts my keystrokes).

I tried to run aswMBR version 1.0.1.2290 (with latest updates) but every time I try to start the scan, it scans for a few seconds before BSOD appears & my system is restarted. Why does this happen? Am I infected with malware that prevents aswMBR from running scans? ( I used to run scans with this with no issues until some months back)

( I ran scans with all of these(updated versions) & they all came up with clean results. Adwcleaner, Emsisoft emergency kit scanner, Junk removal tool, Kaspersky virus removal tool, Malwarebytes, Super anti spyware, Kaspersky TDSS Killer, Panda cloud cleaner, ESET online scanner, F-Secure Online scanner, HitManPro, Zemana antimalware )

Can anyone please help me with this? Thanks a ton in advance.

Edited by rebeccavalentine, 28 November 2017 - 12:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:51 AM

aswMBR is an old program I doubt it will work on any modern drive with a GPT partition table.

Open a command prompt and type

diskpart

list disk

Is there an asterisk under the GPT column? If there is then aswMBR would not be able to check your MBR because GPT partition tables do not use a MBR to boot.

#3 rebeccavalentine

rebeccavalentine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:12 PM

Thanks a ton for the response. 

But I think I used to run scans with aswMBR until a few months back with the same system I use now.

I opened CMD & did what you asked me to, but I dont get anything at all. The cursor blinks for a few seconds, & then goes to the next line. Nothing is displayed.

PS. I forgot to mention in my post that I cannot run Comodo cleaning essentials. When i try to, I get an error message asking me to run 64 bit version of the program, even when I run the 64 bit version of it downloaded from the official site.

Edited by rebeccavalentine, 28 November 2017 - 12:33 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:20 PM

You can also check for a GPT partition table by opening Disk Management. Right click Computer > Manage > Disk Management (under Storage).

Click the box labeled Disk 0 which should be your OS disk. The box will look that it has been pressed. Right Click and select Properties. Click the Volumes tab. Look under Partition Style. It will say MBR or GPT.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:55 PM

JohnC, I have not used that product in quite awhile, is there a more up-to-date utility available -- one that you trust?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#6 rebeccavalentine

rebeccavalentine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:00 PM

You can also check for a GPT partition table by opening Disk Management. Right click Computer > Manage > Disk Management (under Storage).

Click the box labeled Disk 0 which should be your OS disk. The box will look that it has been pressed. Right Click and select Properties. Click the Volumes tab. Look under Partition Style. It will say MBR or GPT.

Thank you so much for the reply again. You're right. It says GPT for my primary OS disk. So thats why aswMBR doesn't run, now i get it. 

Thanks a ton again. 

But is there any reason why comodo cleaning essentials wont run on my system? The error message asks me to run the 64 bit version, but I'm damn sure that the version I downloaded & ran, is the 64 bit version only. Thanks, again :)

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:19 PM

JohnC, I have not used that product in quite awhile, is there a more up-to-date utility available -- one that you trust?

Not sure. The only one close to it would be possibly TDSS killer.

GPT disk cannot be infected with MBR malware.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:22 PM

Thank you so much for the reply again. You're right. It says GPT for my primary OS disk. So thats why aswMBR doesn't run, now i get it. 

Thanks a ton again. 

But is there any reason why comodo cleaning essentials wont run on my system? The error message asks me to run the 64 bit version, but I'm damn sure that the version I downloaded & ran, is the 64 bit version only. Thanks, again :)

I am not familiar with Comodo Cleaning Essentials. You may want to post the question in the Windows 10 forum. I doubt you have an infection if most programs gave a clean report outside of aswMBR.

Edit: I was just at the Comodo Cleaning Essentials webpage but I don't see where Windows 10 is supported. In the dropdown box for 32bit or 64bit the last version shown is Windows 8.

According to this page Windows 10 is supported.

https://help.comodo.com/topic-119-1-328-3522-.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 November 2017 - 01:26 PM.

#9 rebeccavalentine

rebeccavalentine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:29 PM

Thanks a ton again. 

I am not familiar with Comodo Cleaning Essentials. You may want to post the question in the Windows 10 forum. I doubt you have an infection if most programs gave a clean report outside of aswMBR.

Edit: I was just at the Comodo Cleaning Essentials webpage but I don't see where Windows 10 is supported. In the dropdown box for 32bit or 64bit the last version shown is Windows 8.

According to this page Windows 10 is supported.

https://help.comodo.com/topic-119-1-328-3522-.html

thank you so much again. 

Okay, would post about this in the win 10 forum, then :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users