Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus that wiped all folders and files and renamed them...

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 JustMe-MeOnly

JustMe-MeOnly

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:50 AM

So a friend of mine just lost a lot of work she had done. After plugging in her USB the PC opened it and all her files and folders was renamed to kä╜_╗Ç╣.,═─. The files and folders were resized to 0 bytes, and I could not open or rename any of the folders or files as it would keep on throwing an error about file not found (for opening) or too much characters (for renaming).

Unfortunately, after copying the name (kä╜_╗Ç╣.,═─) from one of the folders, Windows Explorer stopped responding and restarted itself after which the bugger and all of the files and folders were gone.

Luckily the name was still on the clipboard (copied) which allowed me to post this thread. But as I said it already removed itself with all of the content on the USB.

I want to know, for future reference, how to prevent such an virus from auto-running on a USB and if possible how to recover, or which tool I can use to try and recover the data if this happens again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users