Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ext HD free space on disk way too low; used way too high

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 !@@**##

!@@**##

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:54 AM

I have a 1 T external hard drive.  It shows only 1 GB of free space and 999 GB used space under the properties pie chart and this is the way it is operating; you cannot save to this disk because there is insufficient space.

This seems to be way more used space than actual.  When you look at properties for individual folders, it adds up to less than 100 GB.

What could be happening?

I already cleared the recycle bin.

I am using this for everyday folder and document activities.  Most of my document preparation and downloading is directly to this disk, rather than to drive C:.

Edited by !@@**##, 28 November 2017 - 09:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:22 AM

Run WinDirStat on the drive. It should tell you what is using all this disk space. One thing to check is make sure you do not have System Restore set on the external drive or if you do dial back the space used for Restore Points.

Is the most important data on this drive backed up to another drive? A hard drive can fail at any time.

What OS are you using?

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 November 2017 - 09:23 AM.

#3 !@@**##

!@@**##
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:32 AM

I ran WinDirStat and it shows multiple backups of the C: drive, accounting for 76% of the space.  This makes sense.  Dell Backup and Recovery is loaded on the C: drive.  I will try to learn how to change those settings and also delete old backups.

Thanks for this help.  Just what I needed.

Edited by !@@**##, 28 November 2017 - 11:35 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:25 PM

You only need/want...one good working backup, no point in more.  If the latest works properly, all earlier backups are just a waste of space.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users