Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ZoneAlarm warning

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Phil_LHT

Phil_LHT

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:03 AM

Good morning. Last night ZoneAlarm, produced a pop-up which said, "New network found", with an IP address that wasn't mine according to the online 'What's my IP?' websites and gave two options for 'trusted' and 'public'.

The information available online via Google about it is 6-10 years old and I am not sure if it's relevant. Is it anything to worry about?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Unworn_Kilt

Unworn_Kilt

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:31 AM

G'day Phil,

I'm just another user like you. I'm not a Malware Removal Expert.

I gather from your post that you're using WiFi to connect?

Generally, it's not a good idea to connect to any network you are not familiar with.

Is there any reason you would want to connect to this New Network?

Without further information, the question is a little bit like asking "how long is a piece of string." Not meaning to be rude, just stating fact.

I'd suggest blocking the network, and, unless you want to invite trouble, avoid connecting.

If you need further advice, please advise.

Cheers,

Kilt.

PLEASE NOTE

I am only a Standard Member,  NOT a Trained Malware Removal Expert. If you have ANY concerns regarding any advice I may give, please contact a Member of Staff before making changes.

Thanks!

** Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick **

#3 Phil_LHT

Phil_LHT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:52 PM

Hello there, I am not sure it is a new network. I tried to find my Ipv4 and Ipv6 and couldn't find the latter so not sure if it was even my Ipv6 address that was the 'new' network. I haven't connected to anything other than my own WiFi provider...So I should be okay?

I am so sorry that this is a dim question, I am that hopeless with technology (something I do aim to address via study, if only for my own knowledge and use). 

#4 Phil_LHT

Phil_LHT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:53 PM

Yes, another 'what is my IP' type site has said the following:

Your IPv4 address on the public Internet appears to be [Redacted by me]

hires_info.png

Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) appears to be [Redacted by me]

hires_bad.png

No IPv6 address detected [more info]

hires_info.png

You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 Internet only. You will not be able to reach IPv6-only sites.

hires_info.png

To ensure the best Internet performance and connectivity, ask your ISP about native IPv6. [more info]

hires_info.png

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have no access to the IPv6 Internet, or is not configured to use it. This may in the future restrict your ability to reach IPv6-only sites. [more info]

#5 Unworn_Kilt

Unworn_Kilt

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:39 PM

G'day again,

Thanks for responding.

I've had a look at what you've said.

Never be afraid to ask a question. Unless you're trying to tell me you're the "man in the moon" I won't think it a "silly question." It's always better to seek advice if you're unsure of something. I applaud you for that!

On my own system it will usually advise if a new WiFi network is found. I reckon that's what's going on here.

In theory, unless the other network has an Advanced Network Infector, you should be alright as long as you only connect to YOUR network.

Don't ever connect to unknown networks as you never know who, or, what is behind them.

If you're able to block the other network, please do. Otherwise, you should be okay.

Please advise me if there's anything else I can do to assist you.

Cheers,

Kilt. :thumbup2: 

Edited by Unworn_Kilt, 28 November 2017 - 10:44 PM.

PLEASE NOTE

I am only a Standard Member,  NOT a Trained Malware Removal Expert. If you have ANY concerns regarding any advice I may give, please contact a Member of Staff before making changes.

Thanks!

** Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick **

#6 Phil_LHT

Phil_LHT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:45 AM

Thanks!!  :guitar:

0 user(s) are reading this topic