Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive stucks my computer at MB splash screen

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 d4nyi

d4nyi

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:33 AM

Hello guys,

nowadays at these times my 1TB internal & 300GB external storage are not enough so yesterday I've bought myself one Seagate Expansion Desktop 4TB which worked just fine and I've put a lots of data in it already. However - today when I started my computer it got stuck instantly at MB splash screen, even before POST. When I disconnected that external HDD and restarted my computer it booted instantly and just fine. If it was problem with BIOS disk boot priorities it would show me an error that there's no Windows allocated on Disk G: etc.. so boot priority is not the problem. So I'm asking here don't you know where the problem lies? Is it possible that maybe my old ASUS P55US3L does not support 5.3TB of space? Which is bollocks in my opinion as it's running just fine till i reboot. 

Thanks in advance!

Here are some tech specs:

i5 750@2.67ghz

ASUS P55US3L

N760 TF 2GD5/OC

8GB RAM

WD Blue 1TB w/ Windows 10 & WD Passport 300GB

Edited by d4nyi, 28 November 2017 - 04:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:43 AM

If the 4TB is an External Drive connected via USB then just Boot the PC as per Normal , and then connect the external drive.

I have a External 8TB for Backup Data in a Caddy Rack and PC Win 7 boots fine with it powered on , but if i have 500G in the 2nd Rack and try and Boot to Win 7 it always fails , so i just turn it on { 500G } after the PC has Booted fully and then works fine.

I havent looked for a reason as to why this can happen but i assume its a Bios Problem.

i Run a ASUS M2N32Deluxe and with 160 G Operating System Drive / and the 8TB connected at Boot Time , but 2 Caddies Loaded and it fails , and vise Versa if i boot with the 500G at Boot works fine , and then Power the 8TB and loads up ok.

If the 8TB is loaded at Boot time , the Boot Process takes longer about 30 secs , than normal than with only the OS 160G { Internal }.

I assume the 8TB takes longer to read at Boot Time.

Overall everything works in a fashion , so all good overall.

Edited by Havachat, 28 November 2017 - 05:44 AM.

#3 d4nyi

d4nyi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:47 AM

Hello Havachat,

thank you for your answer. However:

1) Connecting and disconnecting USB everyday will shorten the USB cable life - I'm also connecting it from behind the tower which will make me have to pull the case out and connect it.. I want to find some way to run them all consecutively.

2) There's no On-off key on it.

3) There's no difference in running the external disk separatively. Running only 4TB without the 300GB is still doing problems, however running 300GB without 4TB is working fine

Edited by d4nyi, 28 November 2017 - 05:50 AM.

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:00 AM

Possibly a Win 10 issue , but thats not my expertise within Win 10.

Was the 4TB formatted and Wiped clean of everything ,  then Formatted as GPT Partition { For Drives over 3 TB } To see all 4TB.

Thats what i did on my Samsung 8TB then formatted as NTFS.

This Link may help to do on Win 10 Systems.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-format-new-hard-drive-windows-10

#5 d4nyi

d4nyi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:06 AM

Won't I lose warranty if i format the disk with the warranty files etc stored here?

BTW i doubt that it has smth to do with WIN10 - the computer freezes on the first (MB) screen before loading ANYTHING - before POST even.

Edited by d4nyi, 28 November 2017 - 06:31 AM.

#6 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:46 AM

Move the Warranty Files to a USB , it shouldnt Void the Warranty , they are only files for you to read etc.

Freezing at Boot ? ,,,what happens if you only have the 1TB Drive / Operating System  connected and then Boot ?   same Freeze problem ?

Maybe someone else can advise further .....Sleep Time for me.

#7 d4nyi

d4nyi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:48 AM

My main drive (SATA WD Blue 1TB HDD) boots fine.. it also boots fine with the 300GB external drive.. however when I connect my 4TB external drive from Seagate it can't boot anywhere (not even BIOS)..

However I wish you Good night and thank you for answers :)

Edited by d4nyi, 28 November 2017 - 06:49 AM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,004 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:40 AM

If it was problem with BIOS disk boot priorities it would show me an error that there's no Windows allocated on Disk G: etc.. so boot priority is not the problem. 

Not necessarily. A GPT partition table is required for accessing data over 2TB. But, your legacy BIOS cannot boot a GPT disk without issues so it's possible there will not be an error.

Old motherboards with Legacy BIOS and the larger hard drives that require a GPT partition table vs the old MBR partition table sometimes gets confused. Try disabling USB boot in your BIOS settings. There may be a setting called Legacy USB. Disabling it may help.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 November 2017 - 08:47 AM.

#9 d4nyi

d4nyi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:38 AM

I know. But my keyboard is USB so disabling it will completely disable access to BIOS...

Edited by hamluis, 30 November 2017 - 04:57 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,004 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:44 AM

What if you temporarily change the boot order to have the hard drive boot first. Does that fix the problem?

#11 d4nyi

d4nyi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:04 AM

I always boot my SATA HDD first. External disk is just storage for my songs/movies/pictures etc.. but i want it to run always.

Edited by d4nyi, 28 November 2017 - 11:04 AM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,004 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:08 AM

There is a hardware troubleshooter that may solve the problem. 

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/troubleshoot-fix-windows-hardware-devices-problems-troubleshooter

If the troubleshooter does not work then other than formatting the drive as Havachat suggested I am out of ideas, sorry.

#13 d4nyi

d4nyi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:20 AM

I've done this and no problems were found. I'll format the drive I guess.

#14 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:15 PM

This has been an issue for years, since the Windows XP days.  I gave up trying to fix it on my 750GB external and just leave it disconnected.  Here's what Seagate recommends.

#15 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:27 AM

Hello Havachat,

thank you for your answer. However:

1) Connecting and disconnecting USB everyday will shorten the USB cable life - I'm also connecting it from behind the tower which will make me have to pull the case out and connect it.. I want to find some way to run them all consecutively.

Dont think or have heard that Connecting / Disconnecting the USB Cable will shorten its life { Ive Lost count how many i have done }.

You could also run a USB Ext Cable from the Back of PC to the front area , and connect when Required.

Added Thoughts :   .....My Caddy Racks are set to Plug and Play { Quick Removal }. Win 7.

Older XP System with Racks - Similar as above -    "Allow Quick Removal .. .. ... ... .. ... "   cant remember the rest.

I would think with your setup -  id use the 300G for OS and the 1TB would be Storage / Personal Files and connected always.

And the 4TB would be Backup Drive for all your Personal Files and then you would only have to connect via USB when required to backup.

Im on same page as JohnC_21 as to any other remedies.....hopefully in time someone may ?

Edited by Havachat, 29 November 2017 - 02:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users