Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 - 40 Minute Boot Time and No Video Output after Windows Sign on Screen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 laffingboy11

laffingboy11

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:13 AM

I have a home built computer running Windows 7 that takes about 40 minutes to boot.  It used to take about 20 seconds.  Once the computer boots the Windows sign on screen displays and then the monitor goes black.  There is no video out to the screen.

I am using the onboard video on an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 motherboard.  The Windows Device Manager says that the video processor is "Intel HD Graphics 4000."

I booted into Safe Mode and was able to get video out to the monitor.

Before posting I tried some of the steps in the post "Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware" post.  I tried the following (the numbers are the topics in the "Check Here First" post):

2 - Clean up your hard drive - Minimal files deleted./space freed up.

4 - Check for problem entries in Device Manager - No problems found.

5 - Check for damaged, missing or altered critical system files by using the System File Checker - No problems found.

7- Check for unnecessary applications loading when windows boots with the System Configuration Utility.  I used the startup tool in CCleaner and noted one potential problem.  There is a startup item called Conime.  The bleepingcomputer database of startup items says that this may be a valid Windows process or may be malware installed by the W32.Slurk.A worm or the Troj/Dldr-G trojan.

I have AVG Free antivirus installed but it will not run in Safe Mode mode.  I also have Malwarebytes Free installed.  I started a virus scan with Malwarebytes and it has been running for 45 hours.  So far there are no infections reported.

This computer is six or seven years old.  The operating system is hosted on a 160GB solid state drive.  The data files are stored on a regular hard drive.  I think that there may be a problem with the SSD that hosts the operating system.  It is an Intel 320 Series SSD Model # SSDSA2CW160G3.

When I built the computer and installed all of the software I seem to remember that the complete installation only took up approximately 10 to 12 GB of space.  Since that time the only additional program to be installed is itunes.  Right now the drive shows that there are 90GB of space used.  Virtually all of the data files are stored on the traditional hard drive.

Although I built this computer I just followed instructions I found on the internet and I barely understand what I am doing.  Any help you can provide in figuring out the problem will be greatly appreciated.

I think that my next step will be to update the video driver.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 laffingboy11

laffingboy11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:02 PM

The virus scan with Malwarebytes took 160 hours (six and a half days!) to complete and showed no infections.  After the virus scan completed I updated the video driver and that corrected the problem with the video output disappearing after the Windows sign on screen.  I was able to boot the computer in normal mode (not safe mode) and get video out to the monitor.  The reboot still took a long time, about forty minutes.

Does anyone have any idea why the boot time is so long and why it would take 160 hours to complete a virus scan?  Please let me know if you have any suggestions.  Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users