Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Networking Problems

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 woodsie

woodsie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:32 PM

Hi all.

I have been having some issues of late with my home network I was hoping someone could help me with please,

My home network consists of Modem/Router - Netgear DGN2200V4

Netgear unmanaged switch.

D-Link DNS 345 NAS as a media Server to stream to players and tv's through the house via ethernet.

WD My Cloud file Server as a document back up for computers and Ipads through out the house (Non-Operational) as of yet.

Various WD Media players hard-wired over ethernet for streaming movies from Nas.

Netgear Access Point - Hard-wired to switch

Netgear Router - turned into Access Point mode with another Media player plugged into that and also hard wired into switch.

So these are the hardware components on my network.

My troubles seemed to have started after my old thomson Modem/Router started to randomly reboot every few minutes and kick everyone off the internet.

I then replaced this with the Netgear DGN2200V4.

After this I have never been able to get my Media Server to run right.

After resetting my Nas (Media Server) I logged into the Webgui to configure user account settings and after five minutes I could not log back in with out rebooting the modem.

Even trying to access Nas through Filezilla on FTP proved undoable.

Another reboot on the Modem and I'm back in again.

When it's all running right I can access the nas through Web admin, Filezilla and I can even stream from the nas back to my computer, but after what seems like five minutes access is stopped for the streaming on computer, Filezilla, and the web UI.

The media players are still able to stream and play movies though.

So I go to Web UI and it loads all but the Administrator part that I need to be able to get into it.

Another reboot of the Modem or the Nas and all is well, for five minutes.

Please, any help would really be appreciated, pulling my hair out here.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, just a quick side note....

I've been doing a little experimenting and I have found that when I am connected to the wireless on the Modem/Router I cannot connect to Nas via Filezilla, Web UI or the network shares in my computer nor can I stream movies as well to computer.

If I disconnect from the Modem wireless and use one of the Access Points upstairs then I can connect no trouble at all.

Any idea why this would be?

Thanks in advance

Side Note 2

Have found the problem.

The ethernet cable going from the switch to the Modem was plugged into a lan port instead of the WAN port.

When I was connected to the Access Points upstairs that run straight to the Switch where the NAS is plugged into I would be able to connect to it perfectly.

When I was connected to the Modem wireless I was then not able to connect to Nas.

Wan and Lan ports were around the wrong way.

So after about the last two weeks of struggling with settings and constantly rebooting and resetting everything al I had to do was look at my cabling. Duh lol.

Would also explain why I was able to connect to the Nas straight away after a Modem reboot, the wireless on the computer would pick up one of the wireless Access Points upstairs and then once the Modem wireless had finished rebooting my computer would automatically change over to the Modem wireless as the stronger signal and then I would get disconnected from the Nas.

Glad that problem is solved.

For any of you guys out there with a similar problem, I hope this helps.

Edited by woodsie, 28 November 2017 - 02:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users