Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No number "1" for monitor under display settings

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mrmatt2

mrmatt2

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:59 PM

Hi, hope you can help.

Was playing a game, graphics became distorted and  game crashed.

Found my screen resolution looked very different.

No matter what resolution I choose, the screen does not look correct ( I have 4 to choose from)

Went to display settings, found no monitor was present, that is,  no number 1 listed.(see attached jpeg).

I have 2 monitors hooked up, 1st monitor is HDMI connection, other is VGA connection. The 2nd monitor shows duplicate screen of the 1st.

When I hit the detect button, it says it does not detect another display

Went to Device manager.

Initially said latest driver installed.

I uninstalled the driver, then re-installed it.

Now says no driver is installed.

Downloaded driver from internet and have disc, neither worked

-when I go to driver tab in Device manager it says " No driver is required or has been loaded for this device"

When I search automatically for best drivers online, it says the best drivers have already been installed on the device.

I downloaded the lasted driver from the vendor site, and browsed to that and manually install it., it says Windows has successfully updated your drivers" - but no change. I have restarted the computer but no change holds. 

In Device manager, only one monitor shows up.

I cannot go back to a restore point, it is only showing one recent point when the crash happened.... I am sure I had more.. so that is strange.

I am not sure if my video card is bad, but not sure if that would explain why there is no "1" under display settings(?).

Partial corruption of Win10?

System 

Mother BoardBoard: ECS A790GXM-AD3 1.0
Processor:  2.80 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X3 720

Graphics Card:  ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series [Display adapter]

Memory: 3328 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Thank you for your time, greatly appreciated.

​Matt

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 28 November 2017 - 03:13 PM.
Moved from W10 Spt to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:57 PM

I don't suspect W 10

I do suspect the monitor - see if it will display correctly using the VGA cable [doubt it]

I do suspect the graphics card. The sudden corruption sounds like a component failure

keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:56 AM

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png  and the X key to open the Quick Link Menu.

Click/tap Device Manager.

Look to see if there are any yellow triangles with a exclamation mark in the middle or a yellow question marks, these are warnings or a red X indicating an error.  Look specifically in the Display adapters, Sound, video and game controllers.  If there are any of these click/tap on the chevron to the left to open devices, then double click/tap on the device.  There will be a Driver tab, click/tap this and select Uninstall Device.  Shut down the computer, then restart it.  When the computer boots it will install a new driver.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:27 PM

unplug the non-working monitor from the computer then restart the computer, after it reboots plug the other monitor back in and see if windows detects it.

#5 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:22 PM

Thank you all for your help!

Unfortunately, restarting the computer with the VGA cable/monitor did not help.

Tree Hugger; there are no yellow triangles or question marks with the devices.  Previously I did reinstall the driver, but that did not help.

I am thinking the video/graphics card is kaput, unless there are other ideas....

Is it possible the issue to be due to the MB?

Again, I really appreciate you taking the time to help with this.

Matt

Edited by mrmatt2, 29 November 2017 - 07:26 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:41 AM

This motherboard was originally released in July of 2010, this means that this motherboard could be seven years old.  This can caused all sorts of glitches as components tend to breakdown over time, especially electrolytic capacitors which are used on the motherboard to regulate voltages. 

Your motherboard has integrated graphics.  Disconnect the dedicated AMD graphics card and see if the integrated graphics works.

The HD 4850 requires at least a 450W PSU.  What is the make and model of your PSU?

AMD does not have a driver for the Windows 10 for the Radeon HS 4800 series.  The only driver available for the HD 4800 series is an update for Windows 10.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy-v131.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Edited by dc3, 30 November 2017 - 09:47 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:43 AM

to eliminate / reduce the possibility of the MB being part of the problem - remove the graphics card, clean the contacts of both the card and the MB then carefully reseat the card and try again. Failure to respond would seem to point to a bad graphics card

Dick E

#8 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:09 PM

Thanks again for your help!

Ok,. I got the video card out, and plugged into the MB VGA and again no #1 seen, and the resolution seemed to be off, but perhaps that could have been fixed with adjustment.

I cleaned the graphic cards terminals, they were quite dirty, and started the computer, but again settings does not show a #1 - nor #2

Pretty much the same as before..

The PSU is Rosewill model Hive-550 which is 550 watts

please see below for the snapshot.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/PTbnqiaNE5EyTaztvpnoUbw

Edited by mrmatt2, 30 November 2017 - 08:18 PM.

#9 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:46 PM

My bet is on the graphics card

The VGA port would need configuration to support 2 monitors

Dick E

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:50 AM

The Speccy shows that your AMD HD 4500 is running the 22.19.128.0 V driver. This driver was part of the Windows 10 November update which replaced the AMD driver that was being used.  Usually you would be able to open the Device Manager, select Display adapters, double click/tap on the AMD driver, click/tap the Driver tab, select Roll Back Driver... and this is where the fun begins since this option is greyed out.  The two articles below will shed some light on this and offer some solutions.

Windows 10 set display resolution to 1920x1080? - Microsoft Community

AMD Device driver update through Windows update removes working display adapter

Edited by dc3, 01 December 2017 - 09:51 AM.

#11 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 08:56 PM

thank you Tree hugger, on the page you provided a link to I found a solution that worked which was this:

. Go to Device Manager-Display Adapters. Double click on the ATI Radeon HD adapter. Go to the Driver tab and select Update Driver. Go to Browse My Computer then Let Me Pick..... - select the driver from 2015, not the one from 2017. Screen will go black ~ 4 times then recover.

The problem started with the update  "Windows update on 11/23/2017 (Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - 7/25/2017 12:00:00 AM - 22.19.128.0)" or the update Windows 10 17.09.

​It appears MS has removed the updated driver from their updates.

​If not true, and this happens again, ( and I can recover again) I will stop the updates for the driver. I have to  read more on how to do this, but seems possible.

​Tree Hugger, thank you for the excellent find, I would update the driver with the 2017 driver not the 2015, so did not work.

​Thank you for your time and diligence in helping me out ( I am now seeing #1 and #2 monitors!!)

​Dick, thank you for your support also.

I think we all learned a little bit more now.

​take care,

​Matt

Edited by mrmatt2, 02 December 2017 - 09:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users