Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some Programs Won't Connect.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nulightwarrior

nulightwarrior

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:30 PM

I had to reinstall Windows because I took an 80 Gb backup drive, and made it the primary drive, then added a 120 Gb drive as my backup.

Everything seems to work except certain programs won't access the Internet. I uninstalled my anti-virus software because it caused issues with Zone Alarm. I tried uninstalling Zone Alarm and installed a different firewall.

Anyway, Firefox connects, CDex connects, and Thunderbird connects. However, Internet Explorer, Opera, Winamp, etc. won't connect.

I tried resetting the IP. I'm still having the problem.

So, any suggestions.

Sorry if this jhas been asked before.

Edited by nulightwarrior, 24 September 2006 - 08:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:38 PM

Did you reinstall the programs or are you trying to run them from the slave drive?

#3 nulightwarrior

nulightwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:34 PM

I reinstalled them and I'm running them from the primary drive.

#4 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:19 AM

Check the path you have for internet explorer etc, make sure they are not using a different device, worse comes to worse, just uninstall and reinstall.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:28 AM

Right click on the icon, choose properties, click "Find Target".

What happens?

#6 nulightwarrior

nulightwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:44 AM

What happens?

It opens the folder in Program Files for that program and highlights the icon.

#7 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 01:56 PM

Well if I were to guess, I'd say that either A: the files were corrupted in some way and they are not using the right source, or B: it's spyware/adaware/etc If the problem is A: then you need to just uninstall the programs that are not working and then reinstall them, if it's B: then you need to either download some protective suits (if you need any just ask and i'll list a few) or you can do a hijack this log http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:36 PM

What happens?

It opens the folder in Program Files for that program and highlights the icon.

Look in the address bar and see if it is the right drive that is being targeted
If so, Double click on the highlighted icon in the folder (.exe) and see if the program opens.

If it does, the file in the box that is labeled "Target" needs to be changed to match the path of the exe file.

If not, find the right path for the program and correct it.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:19 AM

I'm just shooting in the dark here, but here's a couple of suggestions:

Try the free program Dial A Fix from DJLizard to see if it's a dll registration problem: http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix#Standard_version

Do you have SP2 installed? If so, try uninstalling and then reinstalling it.
If not, install it - it'll help even if it doesn't fix this problem.

If that doesn't work - you can also try a repair install of Windows: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users