Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

6GB vs 8GB RAM?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TechlessOS_3211

TechlessOS_3211

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:40 AM

Hi all,

I'm helping my grandma buy a new laptop because she has a little old netbook with a 1Ghz processor and 2GB RAM that can't even handle loading Facebook.

Right now, I'm trying to decide between RAM configurations. We've settled on a Dell Inspiron with these specs:

15.6" Touchscreen

Intel Core i3

1TB HDD

6GB/8GB RAM

The 8GB costs about $75 more, which she's willing to pay but I'm also not sure it's necessary.

She wants to use her laptop for managing finances, reading email, browsing Facebook, storing photos, playing Minecraft, and watching Netflix mainly. For the regular browsing I'm sure 6GB is fine, but Netflix and Minecraft are the kicker. Would 6GB be able to handle Netflix and Minecraft smoothly, or would it be best to bump up the memory to 8GB?

Thanks in advance for your advice!  :thumbup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:44 AM

If your grandmother is only going to facebook and checking email then 6GB is more than enough. If all she is doing is browsing, email, and things like facebook you may want to consider a Chromebook instead.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/best-chromebook-deals?i10c.mark_type_refresh=2

#3 TechlessOS_3211

TechlessOS_3211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:46 AM

I also mentioned Netflix and Minecraft though; of course 6GB is enough for web browsing. Streaming video and light gaming may be another story I thought.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,827 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:01 AM

As an aside, I would avoid a touchscreen if she's not used to one, and particularly if she's someone in the habit of pointing to the screen and touching it to direct someone's attention to something or to use her finger to scan across lines of text, etc.

Touch screens drive me crazy because I don't have one but my partner's computer does, and invariably when I'm trying to help him I end up activating icons, etc., when my finger accidentally touches the screen when I'm trying to point something out to him.

If she is used to a touch screen then the above does not apply.  It's just something that many people don't take into account.  I intentionally purchased my latest laptop (Windows 10) without a touch screen because I just don't use them and, unlike under Windows 8 where it could be frustrating not to have one, Windows 10 works just fine with a mouse alone.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 TechlessOS_3211

TechlessOS_3211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:06 AM

She's pretty used to touchscreens. Uses her smartphone and my mom's laptop like a pro.

Right now I just need to narrow down whether 6GB is enough for lots of Chrome tabs, Netflix, and Minecraft (probably not all at the same time but nonetheless)

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,827 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:11 AM

I can assure you that 6GB is more than enough for what you list provided it's not all at the same time or at least not all "active" (as in streaming video and playing a game) at the same time.  It might even work then.

It sounds like she'd be OK with a touchscreen laptop if she's already used to one.

I do want to add, for other readers, that it has been my experience that the use of a touchscreen device like a smartphone has little connection to how many people deal (or don't deal) with touchscreen laptops.  People are used to interacting with touch-only devices by touch.  The problem comes in when they're used to interacting with a laptop with a mouse and keyboard and find themselves being driven crazy when touching the screen causes something to happen that they really didn't intend to happen.  It takes some getting used to, and some people really never get used to it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#7 TechlessOS_3211

TechlessOS_3211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:28 AM

I can assure you that 6GB is more than enough for what you list provided it's not all at the same time or at least not all "active" (as in streaming video and playing a game) at the same time.  It might even work then.

Thank you for your help clarifying that quickly. Gotta buy while Cyber Monday sales are still a thing  :wink:

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,600 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:32 AM

Yeah, sorry, I missed the Netflix and Minecraft kickers. Netflix is possible on Chromebook but Minecraft not so much. The closest you would get to that would be TowerCraft, a cut-down version of Minecraft.

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:59 PM

6 gigabyte should be plenty however if the laptop is upgradable I suggest you look into it in the future as sometimes application demands are high

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users