Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting a previously BitLocked HDD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 provocateur

provocateur

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:38 AM

Hi Guys,  My PC crashed and I want to re-use the BitLocked HDD.  The data on the drive is unimportant as I had a current backup.  Is there any way I can reformat the drive without BitLocker?  I want the drive as a backup unit only, I won't be using it as a boot drive.

Any advice will be appreciated. 

Thanks, Barry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:45 AM

You can do it with a Windows Recover Environment boot disk. Once booted to the cd you go to command prompt and use the diskpart commands.

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0 (or select disk 1)

clean

#3 Netdoorz1

Netdoorz1

• Banned Spammer
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:13 AM

If you wipe hard drive without disabling the BitLocker encryption and then install an operating system to the drive that doesn't support or recognize BitLocker, the drive will be locked. So, to prepare the disk for formatting, you should decrypt it in advance via Control Panel. 

1. Point to the top right edge of the screen and select "Search" when the Charms bar appears
2. Type "BitLocker" into the search field, and then click the "Settings" tab.
3. Choose "BitLocker Drive Encryption" from the results and click "Turn Off BitLocker."
4. Enter an administrative password, if prompted, and then click "Turn Off BitLocker" again to decrypt the hard drive, USB flash drive or SD card.

After decrypt BitLocker encrypted hard drive, USB flash drive or SD card you can format it using Disk management utility or EaseUS partition tool. 

1. Type Control Panel in the search box. And click Control Panel.

2. Click Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management.
3. Right-click on the drive or partition and click on Format.
4. Select the file system and set the cluster size.
5. Click OK to format the BitLocker encrypted disk

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:48 AM

That will work if the user can still boot from the drive. If not, you may have to boot from something like GParted and wipe the drive completely.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:19 AM

You can do it with a Windows Recover Environment boot disk. Once booted to the cd you go to command prompt and use the diskpart commands.

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0 (or select disk 1)

clean

Substituting clean all for clean will zero wipe the drive, not just delete the partition table as the clean command does.

If you wipe hard drive without disabling the BitLocker encryption and then install an operating system to the drive that doesn't support or recognize BitLocker, the drive will be locked. So, to prepare the disk for formatting, you should decrypt it in advance via Control Panel. 

I have never heard of this. Zero wiping a drive or using the clean command would remove BitLocker. Gparted would also work. No need to decrypt first.

https://superuser.com/questions/408809/how-to-format-a-drive-encrypted-with-bitlocker

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 December 2017 - 11:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users