Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Regarding Cartridge Technology

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rameezrk

rameezrk

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:50 PM

Hai,I would like to purchase a printer for my office which had to go with bidding.In that i am confused with a term called Cartridge Technology.Few firms quoted in such a way that 

a)Cartridge Technology-Composite

b)Cartridge Technology-Separate Drum & Toner

So please help me from this .What does it mean Composite and also Separate Drum & Toner.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:32 AM

At a guess I would think "composite" is referring to certain printers which use toner cartridges where the imaging drum is an integral part of the cartridge.  So when you replace the toner, you also replace the drum.  The other type is like it says, the toner is replaced when it runs out and the drum is replaced independently when it wears out.

It's very important to consider the running costs of laser printers when buying. In many cases, replacing a full set of toners will exceed the cost of the printer itself...

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 rameezrk

rameezrk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:14 AM

At a guess I would think "composite" is referring to certain printers which use toner cartridges where the imaging drum is an integral part of the cartridge.  So when you replace the toner, you also replace the drum.  The other type is like it says, the toner is replaced when it runs out and the drum is replaced independently when it wears out.

It's very important to consider the running costs of laser printers when buying. In many cases, replacing a full set of toners will exceed the cost of the printer itself...

Thank you very much for your reply.I think you are right.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:49 AM

Laser toner, particularly color laser toner, is every bit as obscenely expensive (more so in raw dollars per purchase) than ink is.  That being said, laser toner cartridges are far less expensive on a per page basis than ink cartridges are.

That being said an inkjet printer with a CISS (Continuous Ink Supply System) is less expensive than laser if you buy your ink in large bottles.

One big advantage of laser, though, is the ability of the final printed page to withstand extended exposure to bright light.  Laser toner is essentially pure pigment and is highly resistant to fading whereas the dyes used in most inkjet ink (except pigmented black) will fade badly if left in strong sunlight.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:54 AM

The method of getting the image, whether drawn by a laser or an LED element unto a photo drum that picks up electrically charged toner particles that then get heated between rollers to fix the toner to the page.  Composite refers to an all in one cartridge, toner dispenser and photo drum inside a case or "cartridge".  Some models have a fixed toner dispenser and the photo drum is a separate assembly.  Separate assemblies units require more service to keep them running well due to the nature of exposed areas and critical potentials need to maintained.  Cartridges have most of those problems solved but many users try to cut corners with rebuilt/refurbished cartridges, some even hire handicapped workers and donate profits to local communities but the workmanship is seriously lacking and will only cause problems.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:03 PM

HP is a company where most of their machines are the composite type of cartridge, this is part of the reason that their toner cartridges are expensive.  Refilling of a composite type cartridge can be an issue because the drum is not replaced, only the toner.  Printers where the drum is a separate part normally have less expensive toner, but when you have to replace the drum due to print quality issues or normal maintenance is when you'll pay.

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:38 PM

The toner may be cheaper but it takes someone who knows what  they are doing to complete the job and not make a mess.  Not something the average office worker wants to get involved with.  Rebuild places seldom check the condition of the photo drum and rarely empty the overflow hopper.  Thermal type color units suffer from mechanical reproduction with so many moving parts. 

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:46 PM

Trust me mjd420nova I'm not a fan of refills, ink or toner.  I just paid $400 for a new set of toner for my home printer, an HP LaserJet Pro 400.  It will probably last me for a decade or so, since it took over five years to get close to empty on the starter cartridges.

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:29 PM

Did a lot of service calls for the multi-drawer, multi-size network units, starting with the LJ2.  Even did some Compaq and Ricoh units but HP is the easiest to service.  Compaq made special kits for overhaul of the big units that made things easier but stull a pain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users