Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Crashing. Task Manager over 150 processes even after cleaning system

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Amymaerten

Amymaerten

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:40 PM

I am sending this after cleaning system on the "Am I infected Forum".  I had a few infections that were supposedly cleaned. System was still hanging up until running Windows Repair by Tweaking.com.Then It was running like normal but then quickly went back to hanging up especially on the internet. Ran Checkdisk, but said it was normal.  I keep getting window at bottom of screen says "not responding" . Seems like it is related to Windows Defender which I had to disable or else I would not be able to use the internet at all.  Still hanging up even while I am typing on this forum. 

Thanks for any help you can provide. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:36 AM

I don't know if 150 processes is normal, I just checked my task manager and I have 147 processes running and my system is clean and runs like a champ.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Amymaerten

Amymaerten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:22 AM

Starting to think WIndows 10 is hogging my RAM and that their built in Antimalware is causing many of the issues

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,819 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:26 PM

How much RAM do you have? If you have at least 4 gb of RAM then you should be good to go.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 Amymaerten

Amymaerten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:55 PM

I have 8 gigs Ram. Honestly I am tying to find the culprit that is running my DISK usage to 100%. I have tried a number of suggested fixes. Sometimes it seems to be working, then out of no where, DISK runs up to 100% even if I am doing low system demand tasks. It seems to be a pretty common problem with windows 10 upgrade based on what I am reading. Processes like super fetch, IAStor etc. I have not given up though.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,819 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:41 AM

I don't want to minimize your problem, but I just checked my task manager and I also read a few websites regarding some of the things that you describe. First, RAM is memory and disk usage is a different thing entirely. When you open task manager you will see these two separate functions listed in separate columns. So which are you having issues with, memory or disk usuage?

https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/fix-windows-10-100-disk-usage-in-task-manager.html

Also, superfetch should be using CPU power if the Microsoft site is to be believed.

I am beginning to think that maybe you should start doing some virus scans and also a system scan using

sfc /scannow

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

Scan your system and see if you come up with anything unusual because 8 gb of RAM should be enough for most general tasks.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 Amymaerten

Amymaerten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 09:49 AM

Update:  I ran all of the scans above. Still freezing up. I believe a new post should be started under the title:  100% disk usage (total disk usage across all drives).  Interesting enough is that while I am tying, it has frozen up at least four times.  Starting Task manager still shows Disk at 100% or 99%.  Something I should also point out is that I disabled Cortana and the disk usage dropped to 1% immediately.  It (Cortana) restarted on its own and drove the usage back to 100% which froze the  system.  I disabled again and boom... disk usage drops to 1 to 2% allowing me to finish typing this. 

This is a known issue with Windows 10.  I am seeing it posted in a few different forums.  But honestly not one of the remedies posted really works long term.  Continues to go back to the same issue.  I am getting ready to wipe the drive completely and have the system rebuilt.  Perhaps I just need to buy an Mac and stop worrying about this thing.  My family goes through windows based laptops way too much and it is costing us more money in time and frustration than I care spend anymore. 

Thank you so much for all of your help.  I will continue to post on this issue until I either break down and buy a new system or wipe the thing completely.  Maybe try Linux.??? 

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,819 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:11 AM

I think that it is time for Dan (DC3) to jump in here and help you out.

But just a side note; I have never disabled Cortana and it uses 0% of my resources. Also, the only Windows based laptops (2 cheap HP laptops) in my family are several years old and still perform very well. So surely you are having some kind of issue and I hope one of the guys here can help you out.

Rocky Bennett

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 Amymaerten

Amymaerten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 08:15 PM

THanks for all of your help Rocky. As a quick update, I contacted Microsoft Tech support. They seem to think the problem is resolved in Windows Update 1709.  I am trying to download now(about 4 or 5 hours at least). Interesting enough is when I ran the "Check For Updates" option in WIndows, it said I was completely up to date. I Used Microsoft;s Service and it said I had missed a few critical updates.  I will post the results once I am finished successfully updating Windows. 

#10 Amymaerten

Amymaerten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:02 PM

Have attempted several times to update to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update with no success. I did this since was Microsoft's diagnosis of the 100% disk usage error. Receiving specific error code 0x8007042B 0x0000002D, plus a few others in the setup error code log . Microsoft Tech support is such a joke.  I gave them control of my system on four different occasions.. They are so predictable. If things aren't moving along quick enough, they do a restart and just like that your support session is over.  One tech screwed up my registry and another made changes to msconfig.  Nothing to this point has worked.  I ordered a back up hard drive, will take off all personal files and then run Hard disk repair from the Hard Disk manufacturer.  If it does not work, I'm finished. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users